Mechanic In A Bottle

whitecapMarch 30, 2014

Anybody tried this? I've got an ancient, self-propelled, 5.0 hp Craftsman mower that was acting up. Ran just fine, a month ago, on fresh gas. Hauled it out several days, ago, though, and had problems. It would run ok for a few minutes, then stall out. Changed the filter and plug, no improvement. It would run "in place" without dying, and I let it go for 40 minutes. Thought I was over the hump but, next day, same problem. I went to the HD site to price some of the products mentioned here--Seafoam, etc. The MIAB caught my eye, particularly the number of favorable customer reviews. So, I picked up a small bottle, ($5 for 4 oz.), and gave it a go. Seems to be running now about as well as it ever did.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
baymee(LehighValleyPA)

Have not seen that product, but it's probably something that dissolves old fuel varnish, as long as it isn't too bad. A new name for a common solvent, I suppose.

Bookmark   March 31, 2014 at 5:21AM
1saxman

It apparently is much more than just a solvent. Look at the list of claims. None of those are new - products exist to do each one - but they have combined all those into one product. Check out the site.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mechanic In A Bottle

Bookmark   April 3, 2014 at 10:52AM
whitecap

They call it a "fuel additive," but I followed the alternative recommendation, which is to drain the gas from the tank, pour in several ounces, squirt it into the carb with the primer bulb, and let it sit for several hours.

Bookmark   April 3, 2014 at 8:14PM
baymee(LehighValleyPA)

I have an open mind on this seemingly revolutionary product. But in the back of that mind I notice that there are many bold claims. Let's see how it does.

Bookmark   April 4, 2014 at 4:12PM
1saxman

Roger that!

Bookmark   April 5, 2014 at 6:32PM
More Discussions
john deere RX75 belt diagram
I have a Rx75 with 9hp motor. I bought it used and...
jeremy_2010
JD L100 and LA100 series trans oil change
I have a JD L118. It had a K46 trans that failed at...
fix_it
Bad ignition coil magneto on Tecumseh
Is there a more economical solution to replacing a...
don_v
Honda HRX217
Had it for 10 years and is the best mower I ever had....
bob3d
Craftsman Lawn Mower Model#917258860 won't turn left
I just bought a Craftsman Lawn Mower with a 46"...
russph3
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™