Using a soaker hose

duajones(z9 TX)May 23, 2009

In an effort to not lose water to evaporation using a sprinkler I want to begin using a soaker hose for watering my lawn. But I have no idea how long to let it run. I used pet food cans to measure when I used a sprinkler to determine how long to water. How do you determine that using a soaker? Search function not working for me or I would have just looked it up

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dchall_san_antonio(8 San Antonio)

It depends on everything (water pressure, how hard you turn the water on, hose quality).

Put a pet food can under the soaker and see how long it takes to fill up.

Bookmark   May 23, 2009 at 2:34PM
texas_weed(7A)

While I admire the thought of water conservation, using a soaker hose to water a lawn is like peeing on a house fire so to speak in a lot of cases. Soakers are great for really small areas like a narrow strip between the curb and sidewalk. But to water a lawn in most cases is not possible even leaving it on 24 x 7. By the time you covered the whole lawn the area where you started from would be a desert if your lawn is of any size.

Bookmark   May 23, 2009 at 4:14PM
dchall_san_antonio(8 San Antonio)

Hey weed, how do they use drip irrigation in fields? That might be a better alternative. We're running across entire sections of land that have drip for cotton and corn. Sort of makes it expensive to build a pipeline through the middle.

Bookmark   May 23, 2009 at 5:32PM
texas_weed(7A)

Dave the way I seen it done around here, not many here though, is very similar to the way I do it in the garden. Mind you I do not do it commercially. They plant in traditional row plantings and run a hose type pipe down each row with a 1 GPH emitter placed at the base of the plant. Then they use the well water and pump with a special filter to remove any particles and a low pressure regulator. Other than the filter and regulators it looks pretty easy to setup. But mostly around here it is traditional gate or circle irrigation.

Bookmark   May 23, 2009 at 7:07PM
lou_midlothian_tx(z8 DFW, Tx)

duajones,

I use soaker hose for the strip area between sidewalk and street. I barely turn it on and basically leave it there all night long. Works pretty good. I often do it every 2-3 weeks.

Bookmark   May 24, 2009 at 11:48AM
rcnaylor(z7 Tex)

Another thing that factors in to how well it will work and over how large of an area is what kind of soil you have. I have a pretty heavy clay. So, it will often get full on top and flow on to adjacent areas and water a wider swath. Of course, I don't think I could use soaker hoses alone for primary use. I use it to hit dry spots in the sprinkler system and to deep water occasionally.

As always, all gardening is ultimately local.

Bookmark   May 25, 2009 at 12:02AM
More Discussions
Beneficial Nemotodes or Milky Spore?
I have an awful problem with slugs every spring, lasy...
lisaw2015
What do I need to have a decent(not show quality) looking Lawn?
First, thank you in advance for the assistance. I have...
mat2cam
Need help with lawn renovation in Phoenix AZ
Thank you everybody for a wonderful forum. I am a new...
adi_az_gw
Need help with grass type for southern CA
My lawn went bad last summer...bare spots, brown, etc....
mschug
Electric push mower vs Gas mower self propelled
I recently fired my lawn service and decided to do...
tuber1974
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™