Every spring this area of lawn goes kaput!

rchris57(z7 GA)May 12, 2014

Hi,
I live in Georgia, Atlanta area. We have a small backyard, established lawn. I do not know the type of grass we have. We live on a golf course which slopes towards our house.
The area of lawn in question comes in very good at the beginning of spring, and after the first couple of cuts it just starts To die. My husband fertilized the recommended amount for his spreader. He never takes off more than 1/3 of the height when cutting.
We haven't done a soil test yet.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardenper(8)

I think it might be related to the shade. In early spring, the trees have not filled out yet. Then as the spring and summer progress, that spot gets more and more shade. Stepping on it, mowing it down, etc then makes it more susceptible to not recovering in that particular spot.

But that will depend on the grass type.

Do you have more close-up pictures of the grass ?

Bookmark   May 12, 2014 at 12:00PM
wrager(Z5 OH)

Bingo! As the summer continues and the shade gets worse, so does the Bermuda. I have a few areas like that too. Not even TifGrand survives.

Bookmark   May 12, 2014 at 2:22PM
dchall_san_antonio(8 San Antonio)

Exactly what I was thinking.

In that shade you might be able to grow fescue or St Augustine. Otherwise you're looking at a different kind of ground cover than grass.

Bookmark   May 12, 2014 at 2:31PM
lou_midlothian_tx(z8 DFW, Tx)

Looks like shade problem. Seeing that you live by the golf course, bermuda is often the grass they grow. I work for golf course turf maintenance and see that problem very often. St augustine is usually what they use under the trees for the houses but zoysia grass like Palisades, etc can be used in moderate shade condition. I've seen zoysia being grown there around the clubhouses,etc and it looks nice.

Bookmark   May 12, 2014 at 7:15PM
More Discussions
Artificial Turf and Gophers
Hello everyone - newbie in gardening here. If I am...
sallophane
Re-seeding tall fescue in winter
My tall fescue lawn has become really sparse. So I'm...
LeonidasBigalowIV
I need lawn renovation help in Zone 7/8
I want to renovate my 24,000 sq ft lawn. The problem...
tless195
What type of grass grows best is very shady areas in South East Texas?
I live in South East Texas and have many trees and...
dcloteaux1350
Why would my neighbor's yard be snowless?
I know this isn't really related to lawn care specifically,...
asm198 - Zone 6a (MO)
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™