add hose clean out to steel deck

stansum(z5 IL)March 20, 2010

anyone have experience adding a hose fiting to a steel deck for clean out purposes? I've got a lovely snapper mulcher and I think adding a hoase fitting woul simplify cleaning. Not sure where to locate it and whether a specific fitting is any better than any other.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
canguy(British Columbia)

Tip the mower with the air filter on the high side and scrape and rinse. You will do a much better job.

Bookmark   March 20, 2010 at 9:24PM
tomplum

By me, the Deere dealer has kits for under $10. Many are over $20

Bookmark   March 21, 2010 at 12:25AM
baymee(LehighValleyPA)

I made my own by welding fittings onto my Wheelhorse deck. It was a hassle dragging out the hose, using it, and the mess it made and I didn't do it long. Probably more of a gimmick than a benefit.

Bookmark   March 21, 2010 at 6:50AM
zoulas

They should call it a rust promoter and not a deck cleaner. Using water to clean your machine will take years off of it. Use compressed air.

Bookmark   March 21, 2010 at 8:50AM
roadbike

My original Toro had one built in with a flip cap. Using the hose through that little hole would remove some of the loose grass but not much else. Simply flip the machine on it's side or up from the front and hose away. For the really caked in stuff it will take a putty knife.

Bookmark   March 23, 2010 at 5:01PM
mvron

If you use a hose to clean the underside of the deck, run the mower a little after the cleaning - helps dry the water off. I used to do that - now I use my leaf blower.

Bookmark   March 25, 2010 at 1:29PM
zoomie

I used my hose clean-out the first year I go my new mower and all it did was cake the grass in! Wont use it again thats for sure...

Bookmark   March 25, 2010 at 9:29PM
chesapeakebeach

Waste of time and money IMO. A clean-out port won't do as good a job as tipping the mower up and spraying with the hose on a regular basis. If you can't tip the mower, just spray with a hose in front of the right rear wheel while the engine is running and that will do a pretty good job (although you'll still need to scrape with a putty knife at the end of every season).

Bookmark   March 28, 2010 at 8:14AM
More Discussions
Reel Mower for Bermuda Lawn?
I was looking at the Fiskars StaySharp Max Reel Mower...
void.pointer
Briggs and Stratton spark plug confusion
I've got a B & S opposed twin 422707 on a Craftsman...
yt125
I have a Tecumseh 5hp egine no spark
I measure the ohms from the following. I placed one...
Nutty1269
Craftsman Lawn Mower Model#917258860 won't turn left
I just bought a Craftsman Lawn Mower with a 46"...
russph3
JD L100 and LA100 series trans oil change
I have a JD L118. It had a K46 trans that failed at...
fix_it
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™