Hole in lawn

ligardenerMay 27, 2011

I have a round impression in my lawn, about 8 inches across, that keeps sinking. I fill it with dirt, reseed it, and then it sinks again. Today I pushed a thin rod through it and met little resistance for 18 inches after which I then hit a hard bottom. This happens anywhere inside the 8-inch circle. Outside the circle the rod can't pierce the ground. It's like there's an 8-inch tube of loose soil that goes down 18 inches and then stops. This is the only spot in a large lawn where this occurs. Any ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dchall_san_antonio(8 San Antonio)

Someone dug up a tree or shrub and filled the hole with compost or mulch. While it seemed like a good idea at the time, when compost or mulch decomposes, it has no volume left. In order to fill that hole you will need a mineral based soil. Sand and clay are minerals. Your dirt is probably minerals. Eventually you will have it filled. I'd continue doing what you're doing until it stops. Or you could dig out the 18 inches and refill all at once. If you do that be sure to mound the top of it because even minerals will continue to settle for three years.

Bookmark   May 27, 2011 at 12:13PM
ligardener

Thanks for the input, dchall. Problem is I'm the only one living here for the past 40 years, and the landscape has not been altered in any way. I know that the best solution to the problem would be to just dig up the area and see what's going on underneath, but that would require me to dig a bigger hole than I already have, and that's not an attractive idea. What I may do is to just scoop it out with a trowel as far as it will take me and see what comes up.

Bookmark   May 27, 2011 at 2:25PM
bshudson(SE Texas)

Maybe use a post hole digger.

Bookmark   May 27, 2011 at 3:05PM
dchall_san_antonio(8 San Antonio)

Is it possible there is a spring under there? How about a leaking pipe?

Bookmark   May 27, 2011 at 3:23PM
More Discussions
Need help with grass type for southern CA
My lawn went bad last summer...bare spots, brown, etc....
mschug
where do I even start with this hot mess of a yard?
Hi! New to the forums, been a lurker for years! We...
chelseahasrouni
What's wrong with my lawn, what do I do in Spring?
I live in Eastern Washington and believe I have Kentucky...
jebuzzz
Need advice on stopping water flooding sidewalk
So I bought my house a couple of years ago, have had...
dafts
Which order to do these tasks?
This spring I need to do the following to my lawn : Aerate,...
tonyjambo
Sponsored Products
Sklo | Cave Candlestick 3 Holes
YLiving.com
Danze Amalfi Two Handle Mini-Widespread Lavatory Faucet - Chrome
Modern Bathroom
Grayson Round Outdoor Dining Table in White Finish, Patio Furniture
FRONTGATE
Yorkshire Decorative Mounting Brackets - 2 pack - White
Signature Hardware
James Martin Furniture Monterey 60 in. Single Vanity - Antique Brandy Multicolor
Hayneedle
Shower Curtain Artistic - Autumn Aspen
$89.00 | DiaNoche
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™