Snapper Hi Vac or Mulcher

delvecMarch 7, 2008

I have a small lawn care service which involves mowing apporx. 15 lawns. I like Snapper (used Lawnboy for 6 years but need a change) but I'm confused on what's best for me, the Hi Vac or Mulcher. Are the deck designs different? Does the mulcher catch grass good? Does the Hi vac mulch good? I see I need a gator blade regardless.

Thanks for reading.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rdaystrom

The Hi-Vac mulches as good as anything out there and is much more versatile. It will mulch, bag, and side discharge. It's also the best bagger anywhere.

Bookmark   March 7, 2008 at 9:13PM
jopopsy(6)

As one fella pointed out to me earlier, the mulcher also only goes up to 2.5 inches; that's pretty short for many lawns.

Bookmark   March 9, 2008 at 8:35AM
delvec

Thanks...so If I were to purchase a Hi Vac, would the Kawasaki 6@3350 perform better versus the B&S 7@3350. Again, I'll be cutting about 15 hours a week.

Thanks,

Bookmark   March 9, 2008 at 6:35PM
mattv21(z9 Houston)

The height of cut on the 21" Snappers is the same for them all: 1.5 - 4.0". IIRC, the 2.5" height of cut is the max on the 19" model only. The only real design difference between the 21" Snapper Mulchers vs Hi-Vac is that the lip at the bottom edge of the deck is turned underneath the deck for the Hi-Vac whereas it is turned outward for the Mulchers. This does give a bit of functional advantage to the Mulcher for actual mulching work, as it distributes the clippings more evenly and in a more uniform size. It does reduce the suction if you put a bag on the mower (you can still attach a chute and bag to the mulcher series). OTOH, the Hi-Vacs still mulch very well but they bag better and (I assume still) come with the chute and bag. And it's cheap to purchase the chute plug and a Gator blade if you want to mulch nicely with one. So I think if you _ever_ bag, even just a few times at the beginning and the end of the season, then the Hi-Vac is the better value. If you only mulch - ever - then the mulcher has a bit of an advantage.

There's nothing wrong with the B&S Intek. But the sticker ratings for power on B&S engines (and some others, too) are meaningless. In the real world, the Kawasaki has significantly more power. Both of these engines are large, heavy OHV designs, but the Kawasaki is more powerful and built more for commercial duty. Whether or not those two advantages are worth the extra is something only you can determine.

Bookmark   March 10, 2008 at 8:42AM
sdlewis_ptd_net

I have 2 mowers for sale. Hardly ever used, look and run as brand new.
Please email if interested for pics and price.
Also for sale is a Gravely G-8163 Garden tractor and Trac Vac.
Extra blades are available for the tractor at no additional cost.

Bookmark   April 29, 2010 at 8:58PM
More Discussions
airens 1534 mini zoom no crank
I've got a 15hp Briggs motor that I attempted to jump...
baldo6878
Shindaiwa T18 Trimmer TK Carb Rebuild
During the process of cleaning and replacing the diagphrams...
sjsmithjr
John Deere K-Series 12 HP 48.comm walk behind transmission? Old Yellow
I noticed it felt like transmission was slipping in...
Gary Simmons
Hayter Harrier 41 - will not start now?!?!?
Model 12S802 Type 0905-1 Serial 97030559 I have had...
changyuk
Anyone ever use an electric mower?
As you may know, ethanol in our gasoline is really...
FrogmoreFarm
Sponsored Products
Espen Ultron VEV8024MVHDA-10V-24 80W 24V Output Dimmable LED Driver
EnvironmentalLights.com
Espresso Swivel Plug-in Wall Lamp
Lamps Plus
Grass Gator String Trimmer Replacement Cutting Head - 1223-0975
$26.99 | Hayneedle
Metro Bath Bar by Tech Lighting
$296.00 | Lumens
Versa Vac Vacuum & Steam Mop
$149.99 | zulily