Use of metal containers for plants over the winter

margomouse(5)August 24, 2012

I just bought some beautiful mums and an aster yesterday. I was going to put them in large metal containers (rustic) for the fall. Severeal people have suggested lining them- which I totally understand. My question is this though. If I line them, keep them healthy and watered etc... Could I winter them in those containers? Someone had put on here that that would cause the metal to split? I do have the hardy mums- so like my others- plan on enjoying them for years to come. thank you.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Marlene Kindred

Well, it depends on how big the containers are and how cold your winters are. Being metal, the soil in them will get colder during the winter, so that might freeze your plants. If you have a wet winter, without drainage, the container might split because the water will freeze in the soil and cause it to expand and split the metal. I have two metal well buckets that I left out one year and they both split at the bottom. So far, they've not dropped the bottoms so I just left them as is for drainage.

Bookmark   August 24, 2012 at 10:01PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
topsiebeezelbub(z7 Al)

Is there drainage? I have had various metal pots for years, but they all have good drainage. Guess it depends on what kind of metal, too. Mine are all galvanized, and heavy iron pots are popular. Seems like heat in summer would be more worrysome that cold in winter.

Bookmark   September 9, 2012 at 5:39PM
More Discussions
Satellite dish
My first attempt at painting a discarded dish that...
oldcrafty
Craft fairs and Garden Junk
I know this really isn't the time of year to find Garden...
toomuchglass
Meep Meep
It's been blistering hot here. The pictures posted...
tinfoilhat
New here...sorta
Hey y'all! I was here ages ago. Well, mostly on the...
valkyrja01
Using paint samples outside ?
Hi all ! I was wondering if anyone knows if we can...
Lilyfinch z7 mid tn
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™