steep hill and riding mowers

tommy2315March 21, 2007

I am trying to figure out what to buy. I have about 2/3 of an acres to mow but I have a sloped hill in the back at about 15-20%. I measured this by using a level and found it to measure 15-17 inches over 4 feet. Is this too steep to use a rinding or ztr mower if I only go up and down the hill instead of across. Would i be better off with a walk behind?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tomplum

You will find manufactures don't suggest ride on equipment for grades that are anything but mild. I'm sure many have used riders on such a slope, but is it safe for you? Feedback that I've had on ZTRs is that they are very poor in such conditions.

Bookmark   March 23, 2007 at 1:14AM
baymee(LehighValleyPA)

I have slopes like that and I've been mowing up and down over them for 30 years with a riding mower, but never a ztr. It puts a strain on the engine and trans, but I've never felt unsafe.

Bookmark   March 23, 2007 at 11:23AM
online123

Thanks for the reply wht is the model you are using for the hills.

Bookmark   March 27, 2007 at 6:49AM
ericgiz

If you have a steep grade to mow one should check into the Gizmow it is designed and engineered to mow hillsides and ditches. It does this by controlling the front caster wheels like a car and then linking them to the rear hydros. In return you get four wheel steering and more control on steep grades. It is the only zero turn mower with a steering wheel. You can find further information at www.gizmow.com or www.dedistributing.com

Sincerely,
Eric Benning

Here is a link that might be useful: D&E Distibuting

Bookmark   May 15, 2007 at 7:09PM
rdaystrom

Regular ZTRs are unsafe on steep slopes. Gizmow is a good choice because of it's steerable front wheels. See the company home page link for Gizmow below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Gizmow

Bookmark   May 15, 2007 at 7:58PM
More Discussions
Bad ignition coil magneto on Tecumseh
Is there a more economical solution to replacing a...
don_v
Engine trouble! B&S 13.5hp
My old Heritage ride-on has a Briggs& Stratton...
Over_here
JD L100 and LA100 series trans oil change
I have a JD L118. It had a K46 trans that failed at...
fix_it
Best way to balance a mower blade
I wanted to know how people balance their mower blades....
milo2000
john deere RX75 belt diagram
I have a Rx75 with 9hp motor. I bought it used and...
jeremy_2010
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™