John Deere LT 155 Charging problems

sandrab_gardener(7)March 28, 2010

I purchased this mower new 11 years ago and never had a problem until lately. I replaced the battery twice last year and the only way I could start it at the end of last season was to jump it off. I know that something is wrong, so I contacted a forum and I was told to replace the solenoid. Since it was late last year, I thought I would do it first thing this season. It did not help matters. I still had to jump it off to start. While it was running and while the hood was up, a connector to the headlight was off and I connected it and when I did, the mower died -- I jumped it off again and left the cable loose on the headlight. I then took the battery to where I purchased it and it was dead too. I believe something is draining down the battery and the manual does not give a schematic for the electrical system. Can you please tell me something else I can check or if I have to have the tractor store come and pick it up and repair it (and if I did, I would not get it back for a month!) Thank you :)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tomplum

Let's first start with a known good battery, clean and secure battery terminals (on both ends), check the fuse and either disconnect the light harness or make sure the wires will not short and pop the fuse. I believe that your solenoid is a 4 pole- correct? 2 small wire and 2 big ones. When the switch is turned to start, one small wire to the solenoid will have power and one ground. The solenoid should be mounted securely. Take a multi-tester and see what is going on. To verify if there is a draw, turn the ignition switch off, remove the negative terminal- hook the meter leads in between the cable and the negative post. A draw will show voltage. To confirm if it is charging, hook up your tester to the battery when it is running wide open. Set on DC scale anything really about 12.6v will indicate a charge. Do the same thing on AC scale. No AC is desirable.

Here is a link that might be useful: deere parts

Bookmark   March 28, 2010 at 10:50PM
More Discussions
Toro 22" Recycler can't get it started! Please help!
Hi Everyone, So I inherited a 6 month old Toro 22"...
enigma7
Lawnboy circa 1967 aquanaut/air buoy evinrude parts
Hi. I am wondering if anyone could be of assistance....
sirlancair
Came home with a new mower
After I threw in the towel on my LB 10323, I decided...
pacochu
Charger for/charging a Toro GTS 6.75 hp
I recently acquired a several year old Toro GTS 6.75...
bkay2000
airens 1534 mini zoom no crank
I've got a 15hp Briggs motor that I attempted to jump...
baldo6878
Sponsored Products
A-America Montreal Double X Dining Side Chair - Espresso - Set of 2 - AAME051
$276.00 | Hayneedle
Missoni Home | John Orange Sham Set
YLiving.com
John Carroll University Basketball Round: 2 Ft. 2 In. x 2 Ft. 2 In. Rug
$26.95 | Bellacor
John Richard Venetian Ball Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Casa Sierra Seedy Glass 18 1/2" High Outdoor Light
$69.99 | Lamps Plus