Honda HR214 Oil Change

hr214March 14, 2010

First post!

Is there a DIY oil change guide for HR214s? My family has had this mower at least since the early '90s and I really don't think it's ever been through an oil change.

Any other info regarding the HR214 would be great. Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hr214

Also, how many quarts will it hold?

Bookmark   March 14, 2010 at 9:23PM
canguy(British Columbia)

Remove the oil fill plug tip the machine on its side and drain the oil into a container. Tip it back on its wheels and pour 20 oz of 30W oil into the fill hole. Dispose of the old oil you are good to go.

Bookmark   March 14, 2010 at 11:05PM
tomplum

Warm it up, shut it off, tip the mower on it's side and drain the oil out the fill. I'll rest the handle on a 4X4 so it is perpendicular to the ground. I use SAE30 and it will hold just under 2/3 of a quart. You check the oil level just by resting the dipstick on the top of the tube and then reading it. You want to pick up an air filter also if it has been a while. If it is dirty, remove the gas tank clean that and the fins below the shroud. Or if you think it really neglected, it may pay to have a trustworthy repairman go through it. You could Google a manual and I'm sure someone has one online. Good luck.

Bookmark   March 14, 2010 at 11:12PM
roadbike

If the mower has endured a slow motion perpetual oil change for 20 years, you might take the current oil change one step further. After changing the oil, run the engine until the oil is good and hot then change it once more to flush out some more residual sludge. The crankcase is small so be precise in the amount of new oil added.

Bookmark   March 15, 2010 at 9:36AM
dwierstad_gmail_com

I was told you don't have to change oil on Honda hr214 because it has no filter and it's has OHV. I had mine for 20years and if it needs oil I just add some,checked oil today after it was used all last summer and it is real clean

Bookmark   May 7, 2011 at 7:27PM
1saxman

This can't be real.

Bookmark   May 8, 2011 at 9:49AM
orangedotfever

Honda has invented a 4 cycle engine that does not require oil changes? Amazing!

Bookmark   May 8, 2011 at 10:38AM
ewalk

Dave: You can't beleieve all the Marketing Hype all 4-stroke engines require routine oil changes every season .
The newer syn. oils reduce the number of changes required annually to usually one for the average homowner. However to state no oil changes required is criminal .

Bookmark   May 8, 2011 at 11:34AM
roadbike

You are a month late for April Fools Day!! The only way for the oil to be "real clean" after 20 years would be if you are using the lawn mower as front porch decoration and not running it.

Bookmark   May 8, 2011 at 11:34AM
gschmidt99_mediacombb_net

Great Suggestions - I open the drain plug,tilted mower on side, allowed to drain, gently pulled cord to cycle the pistons a few times to drain more. Put about 4 oz in allowed to drain right out, put in 12 oz, cut grass, about 60 minutes. drained, put in 20oz, appears to be a bit low, so going to get another SAE 30 to have around.

Next time I'll do drain and flush with 4 oz, but fill with 20oz and run an hour, drain and refill with 20oz. Repeat every spring. For 5 bucks for oils it's worth it yearly. This mowers beats them all.

I also have owned this for nearly 20 years. Maybe got it in Stillwater in 1993/1994. A repair guy at Northern Tool, said, never let this one get away from you, it's made with more metal than the new plastic models everyone is building these days.

Cheers,
Greg

Bookmark   May 16, 2011 at 1:57PM
1saxman

Everything was okay except running the engine on 12 oz of oil for an hour. Don't do that. Always run only with the oil at the correct level.

Bookmark   May 16, 2011 at 4:35PM
roadbike

I'm a little confused on how many ounces went in when you ran it. Flushing with 4 ounces if that is what you are doing will accomplish little. Running with 12 ounces if that is what you did is a lot less than the engine needs for proper lubrication. Just fill it, run and change at the end of the season.

Bookmark   May 16, 2011 at 5:08PM
orangedotfever

I'm not sure what all this 4 ounce/12 ounce stuff is all about. Just drain as much of the old oil out as possible and refill with fresh. There will be so little old oil left that it won't matter.

Bookmark   May 17, 2011 at 9:53AM
ewalk

I'am with Orangedotfever lol .

Bookmark   May 17, 2011 at 1:59PM
More Discussions
B&S OHV 6.5 won't start
If I prime the engine 5/6 times it starts on the second...
mvron
Craftsman Lawn Mower Model#917258860 won't turn left
I just bought a Craftsman Lawn Mower with a 46"...
russph3
john deere RX75 belt diagram
I have a Rx75 with 9hp motor. I bought it used and...
jeremy_2010
Craftsman ZTS 7500
Going to look at a used one of these tomorrow. Anything...
radlee30458
Honda HRX217
Had it for 10 years and is the best mower I ever had....
bob3d
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™