Only runs on ether

vkpartkingMarch 13, 2010

I am trying to salvage this old tiller. I have rebuilt the carb. and it still only runs on starting fluid. It also will run if I cover then uncover the intake. I have tried the mixture screw in many different positions. Ieven pulled it all of the way out as the engine ran, no gas came out. What am I missing?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
canguy(British Columbia)

Can you post the make and model of the engine? Sounds like the carburetor needs to be disassembled and thoroughly cleaned.

Bookmark   March 13, 2010 at 11:17PM
rustyj14(W/PA)

Note: Besides the carburetor cleaning, also check the breather hole in the gas cap! Also, remove the flywheel cover and check under there for dirt, etc, or a spark plug wire that may have no insulation on it, due to mouse chewing. Clean the rust off the coil legs, and the flywheel magnets, too. Reset the coil to flywheel gap, using a regular business card as a gap setter!
Check for a deteriorated fuel line, as those old rubber lines get soft, and then break apart internally, clogging the carb. Thoroughly clean out the gas tank.

Bookmark   March 14, 2010 at 1:23PM
walt2002

"I have rebuilt the carb. and it still only runs on starting fluid"
"It also will run if I cover then uncover the intake."

All this says fuel starvation, either still plugged carb main jet circuit OR badly leaking intake manifold to engine gasket, cracked Intake Manifold?.

By the way, you do not want to continue to run that engine on starting fluid, use gasoline in a squirt can instead.

Walt Conner

Bookmark   March 14, 2010 at 4:17PM
More Discussions
snow throwing
older blower. 7hp, 24" width, 14" auger....
joe_mn
Champion Spark Plug lack of quality
Picked up a set of RJ12C's to have on hand when I do...
yt125
Came home with a new mower
After I threw in the towel on my LB 10323, I decided...
pacochu
Craftsman ZTS 7500
Going to look at a used one of these tomorrow. Anything...
radlee30458
New Honda HRX Drive System
I see where Honda is presenting a new drive system...
skipmarr
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™