Hobbit Holes

arcy_gwAugust 14, 2013

Hi, I am looking for some inspiration pictures from you talented ladies. I have a tree that is begging for a "Hobbit Hole"/doorway. My daughters are very excited for mom to do this garden project. I did a search and came up empty. :( Has anyone turned an old tree hole into a doorway? Pictures please!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Marlene Kindred

Hi there Arcy! Try looking for fairy or gnome doors....I think you'll have better luck!

Bookmark   August 14, 2013 at 4:48PM
arcy_gw

I tried every configuration I could. The miniature gardens are so popular..that is all that came up.

Bookmark   August 14, 2013 at 5:08PM
frankielynnsie(7B)

See this site for an elf door and windows

http://www.plowhearth.com/product.asp?r=product_listing_ads&pcode=415788&gclid=CMmrmYfA_rgCFYyd4Aod0wcACA

Bookmark   August 14, 2013 at 11:24PM
frankielynnsie(7B)
    Bookmark   August 14, 2013 at 11:32PM
arcy_gw

Thank you!! I have the actual door, already..but I have a split in my tree and need to build a roof. I am looking at ideas for shingles/chimney, etc. to cover the split. DH is now on board and we will be attempting an eye brown roof looking like it is embedded in the tree. DH just googled hobbit hole and a lot of looks came up!! YEAH.

Bookmark   August 15, 2013 at 7:37AM
becky_ia(z4 IA)

PLEASE post pictures when finished!

Bookmark   August 15, 2013 at 8:43AM
Kimball

You just gave me an idea for my next project. HowâÂÂs yours coming along? This would be great for my kids seeing as theyâÂÂre huge Hobbit fans. :)

Bookmark   September 3, 2013 at 9:31PM
arcy_gw

Mine is just missing shingles. It ended up an "A Frame" roof with a rock garden leading to the door. I used left over square glass tiles to add an architectural detail to the peak of the roof gluing them on edge so they made a shake effect. I used the stone tiles for a brick effect along the bottom edge. Since we painted it to match our home I thought it needed the same brick detail. We covered the hole in the tree completely which made the chippys that lived there very angry. That is the price I guess. I took window frames with shutters, off a discarded doll house and added silver sheets to the back and stapled them up the tree so it appears the hobbits have many floors in their house. Good luck with yours. This has been on my garden bucket list for many years. I am very happy with the results!

Bookmark   September 4, 2013 at 5:14AM
jlily(Z6)

Your hobbit house sounds wonderful! Your imagination is great. I hope your girls are still intrigued with your project,

PICTURES PLEASE! Enjoy JLily

Bookmark   September 4, 2013 at 10:29AM
arcy_gw

Well, it did not get its shingles this year. The snow came and DH ran out of time. Maybe next spring. Here it is almost done.

Bookmark   December 12, 2013 at 6:08PM
arcy_gw

Another angle

Bookmark   December 12, 2013 at 6:11PM
More Discussions
Meep Meep
It's been blistering hot here. The pictures posted...
tinfoilhat
Satellite dish
My first attempt at painting a discarded dish that...
oldcrafty
Anybody on here from say 10 years ago?
looking for someone because I lost touch with them...
gardnpondr
Hanging Garden Globes
Here's one of my favorite garden junk projects ever:...
janetgia
Christmas Bottle Tree
I finally got around to making a Christmas bottle tree...
lindasewandsew
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™