Ammending my loosening up my soil

ceighmey(z5 KS)May 26, 2011

I lost 60-70% of my KBG lawn last summer due to drought and grubs. I was too busy/upset to bother reseeding last fall and have set my sites doing so this upcoing fall season. In the mean time I am letting what's left of my lawn grow whatever chooses to pop up with the hope that whatever it is, it's green in color. :)

That being said, I'd like to take this opportunity to do some work to my soil before fall arrives. My initial thoughts are to dethatch and then core areate 3-4 times over the next 4-5 months while applying compost or other ammendments. I live a 1/4 mile from a local yard waste composting facility which gives the residents free access to compost - hence my leaning toward that being the primary ammendment. Can any of you reccomend anything else (or a better plan over this short period of time) to help enrich my soil?

My soil is a typical subdivision lot with heavy clay and a small amount of top soil on top of it. I live in the Kansas City metro area (Z5).

Thanks to all ahead of time!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ceighmey(z5 KS)

My subject line should read Ammending AND Loosening up my soil...

Bookmark   May 26, 2011 at 2:16PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tiemco

Your first step should be getting a comprehensive soil test, so you can apply the correct ammendments. Core aeration is usually only necessary when soil is heavily compacted. Doing it 3 or 4 times is overkill, once is enough. Most soils are low in organic matter, a soil test will confirm this, but applying some organics is usually always a good idea.

Bookmark   May 26, 2011 at 4:27PM
More Discussions
Why would my neighbor's yard be snowless?
I know this isn't really related to lawn care specifically,...
asm198 - Zone 6a (MO)
spreader settings not on fertilizer bags?
I recently had a soil test(s) on my yard and had a...
hc803
poor top soil
I had what I thought was top soil brought in to fix...
olusteebus
Lawn issues (tree roots drying out lawn, uneven ground, grading e
I have been a long time lurker, but this is my first...
tomormatt
just bought hybrid bermuda sod will be here in a week. any tips? Socal
hello all I live in southern california and have tifgreen...
bnsand210
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™