drive wheel grease?

gbeccles(z5 NY)April 23, 2012

I just got a used Lawn Boy (model 10301). One drive wheel sometimes hangs up when I pull it backwards. The book says to use lithium grease. Can I just use the 'multipurpose' grease I have in my grease gun, or is lithium what it needs?

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lbpod

I use a grease that is used on boat trailer wheels, and
it seems to do the job on my 10301. Remember, don't
put more that a pump, or two in each wheel.

Bookmark   April 23, 2012 at 9:22AM
1saxman

Does the 10301 have the aluminum-cased clutch/gear pack with grease fitting at each rear wheel? Or, do you have to remove the wheel to get to the drive gear which has a ratchet built into it? If it has the grease fitting, lbpod is right - two pumps max. You need to use NLGI #2 or lighter, down to #0. If you read the cartridge you have in your grease gun, it probably is a 'lithium complex' grease anyway. I like to use white lithium grease on them, but I don't have any mowers of that type anymore. On mine I have to take the wheel off, which is not wasted because I clean and grease the wheel gear and axle at that time, to get to the ratchet gear. I use mineral sprits and a toothbrush to clean the gear, then shoot it full of spray white lithium grease using the center hole in the axle. You can also use a grease gun there if you have the rubber-tipped 'point' accessory.
I just did the rear end on one of my mowers the other day, and I used some grease I've had around for awhile, 'Slick 50' #2 grease. This stuff is green in color but has a nice consistency for manual greasing of axles, gears, etc. I think basically any #2 or lighter grease you find at an auto supply will work. Manufacturers state the type they use because it is known that mixing grease types is not good in high-pressure applications like vehicle wheel bearings and ball joints. For a mower axle or clutch housing, it's probably not very important. Mainly you don't want to over-service that housing because it will make the wheels drag on pull-back.

Bookmark   April 23, 2012 at 11:44AM
ewalk

gbe: Either lithium or a quality Moly grease will suffice within this application. As recommended do not mix greases whenever possible . Over pressure greasing will cause the aforementioned hyd lock potential .

Bookmark   April 24, 2012 at 1:07AM
More Discussions
Shindaiwa T18 Trimmer TK Carb Rebuild
During the process of cleaning and replacing the diagphrams...
sjsmithjr
Anyone ever use an electric mower?
As you may know, ethanol in our gasoline is really...
FrogmoreFarm
2 cycle (Robin) Snapper
Does anyone have any input on whether that Robin 2cycle...
wegrowhair
Tom Boy Lawnmowers????
Has anyone seen or heard of Tom-Boy push lawn mowers????...
bekellog
Honda Mower Problem-Backfire thru Carb?
I have a Honda walk behind that has been awsome until...
jteekell
Sponsored Products
Marcy NS-40502R Recumbent Exercise Bike - NS-40502R
$217.88 | Hayneedle
Brown Driver Organizer
$6.99 | zulily
MaxLite ELLF405UX50 MaxLite StaxMAX LED Flood Lights
EnvironmentalLights.com
Cerno Sero Black Aluminum LED Desk Lamp
Lamps Plus
Golf Driving Garden Frog
$149.00 | FRONTGATE