lawn boy model#4262

kevbocometh(7)April 18, 2013

i just craigs' listed one of these and it looks great! however it doesnt start i just completed cleaning and inspecting the: carb and float. cables and hoses, moving parts. the only problem i can find is a hard primer bulb. i filled the cleaned carb w starter fluid, pulled the cord and literally nothing happened...very quiet. could it be electrical/compression? this mower looks like it was taken care of very well...but? i also cant find the manual online for this thing! if anybody out there knows anything about this big green dog please let me know...its too beautiful to die:( im going to run it in my driveway and make the neighbors think i got a harley...2 strokes rule.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Mike72

Sounds like ignition. Check that ignition switch is working and verify spark.

https://lookup3.toro.com/ttcGateway/acrobat/manuals/lball.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Master parts viewer

Bookmark   April 18, 2013 at 12:40PM
1saxman

Don't use starter fluid - no oil in it. It might need a coil. There are too many things it could be to list, but aside from the coil, cylinder compression could be an issue on an old one like that as well as crankcase compression. They are self-supercharging (for lack of a better term) and the crankcase has seals at the crank bearings. Then there is the reed valve which is a flat spring - if it's broken or worn out it can't hold pressure.
Remove the spark plug and replace if it's gunked-up with carbon. Then put a little 2-cycle mix in the spark plug hole, install the plug and see if it fires. If not, it may need a coil. Just something to try.

Bookmark   April 18, 2013 at 3:26PM
kevbocometh(7)

First and foremost-THANK YOU! I'm so impressed by your responses and i really appreciate u taking the time.
2nd- i dont have a spark, my only question about it is (mike72) if i have an ignition switch...i cant find it. there was zero arching when i put plug near engine housing so i replaced the plug and same result. then i got brave and just held it in my hand...no spark. i still think there may be a compression problem but i would like to address getting a spark first. any advice? i have read the vast majority of the paperwork mike72 provided me and am still a little confused as to the order i should go in. as always, any help appreciated. thank you.

Bookmark   April 20, 2013 at 8:03PM
Mike72

Your model has the switch incorporated into the flywheel brake and uses CD 683215 which is open to run. Disconnect the switch wire from the CD unit and then check for spark. If you get a spark the switch is bad or out of adjustment. If you still don't get a spark the CD unit is probably bad,

Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 7:30AM
kevbocometh(7)

i gave this mower to a guy around the corner. failure...oh miserable failure, but thanks to everyone for their help, it is, as always...appreciated greatly.

Bookmark   May 27, 2013 at 10:32AM
More Discussions
B&S OHV 6.5 won't start
If I prime the engine 5/6 times it starts on the second...
mvron
Mclane 20" mower at Sears... why so inexpensive?
Hey everyone, I want to get yall's input on a mower...
bobbarker14
Reel Mower for Bermuda Lawn?
I was looking at the Fiskars StaySharp Max Reel Mower...
void.pointer
New Purchase
Well hard to believe that it took over 25 yrs to breakdown...
ewalk
Need Craftsman mower grass bag
I have a very old, but really good condition Craftsman...
olddaddy
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™