hydrostatic hand drive

wjpottschmidtApril 8, 2014

I am looking for a tractor type riding lawn mower with hydrostatic drive that is controlled from the dash of the machine like a John Deere 318. I was wondering if anybody knows some non-John Deere makes/models that have this configuration. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yardtractor1

The only ones that come to mind are the older Steiners (control on dash) and Ventracs (but control is on rear wheel fender). Not sure what set up is used on the newer models. Even the used ones are very expensive.

Bookmark   April 8, 2014 at 10:38AM
hippy

Are you referring to one like this Husqvarna LTH2042 that has the speed/directional control mounted into the fender?

Bookmark   April 8, 2014 at 11:58AM
fcarp63

I had an older Cub (late 80s) that had it on the dash. As another poster said, I think only Husqvarna manufactured machines (which inlcude Ariens and Craftsman) have fender mount hydros available. Most are now pedal-driven hydros. I have used the fender driven Ariens and find it to be jerky in operation. You have to move the lever really slowly to avoid jerking the machine when slowing or speeding up.

Bookmark   April 8, 2014 at 1:04PM
hippy

Some of the older Gravely's had a hand lever mounted to the side of the mower such as my old 8121 for example.

These tractors are not a true hydrostatic. But have a lever that changes the fluid flow for reverse through the 4 speed transmission with a Hi/LO. The clutch disc are mounted to the axles on each side.

This post was edited by hippy on Tue, Apr 8, 14 at 20:02

Bookmark   April 8, 2014 at 7:55PM
wjpottschmidt

Was looking for the ones right on the dash like the pic, not the fender, but thanks a lot! I ended up buying a 318, but this was helpful all the same.

Bookmark   April 15, 2014 at 12:48PM
More Discussions
Reel Mower for Bermuda Lawn?
I was looking at the Fiskars StaySharp Max Reel Mower...
void.pointer
Craftsman ZTS 7500
Going to look at a used one of these tomorrow. Anything...
radlee30458
Honda HRX217
Had it for 10 years and is the best mower I ever had....
bob3d
Looking to replace the LB
I've been using a 2003 Lawnboy 10323 for over a decade...
pacochu
John Deere L110
The mower has been sitting for 3 years, it ran when...
paddlingjohn
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™