seal mower deck to prevent rusting

bluelawnApril 9, 2010

I have a craftsman lawnmower with a steel deck which has become extremely rusted. The bottom of the mower deck used to be coated with a layer of green paint but is now completely gone and has been replaced by a layer of rust. This in turn causes the grass to stick to the mower deck making mulching next to impossible. I have to stop every couple of feet and tip up the mower to let some of the grass disperse from underneath the deck otherwise the mower will die. I also have to spend quite a bit of time scraping the grass off the underneath side of the mower deck after each use. Is there any kind of sealant or specialty paint available that I could apply to the underneath side of the deck to prevent rusting, that would protect against wet grass and other moisture, and would also make the process of cleaning the mower deck much easier?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
metal(6)

You need to mow more often (only cut off 1/3 of the height if mulching) and mow when your lawn is dry (late afternoon or evening). That should cure most of your issues unless your lawn is more weeds than grass. In that case you have more issues than just a rusty mower.

Bookmark   April 9, 2010 at 12:51PM
rustyj14(W/PA)

My son works for a rust-proofing company, and he says folks have them spray the undersides of their mower decks with the rustproofing as used on pickup beds. Of course, there is no guarantee, and you must remove the deck to have it done.

Bookmark   April 9, 2010 at 1:58PM
bluelawn

Do you know what the actual product is that they spray onto the mower decks? I'm thinking about trying POR-15 but I don't know how well it will hold up on a lawnmower.

Bookmark   April 9, 2010 at 6:24PM
nod702(z7Tenn.)

What i did and so far it's working. On an older model Troy bilt rider i took the deck off, removed the three blades and spindels. Pressure washed the deck let it thourghly dry and had a friend spray it with some leftover liquid bed liner. This was last fall and so far it is holding up pretty well. I used it on leaves last fall, and have mowed twice so far this spring. After each use i use a blower to clean underneath. Not sure how long it will last.

Bookmark   April 9, 2010 at 8:56PM
chesapeakebeach

I've had great luck with Loctite Rust Neutralizer on a variety of products (haven't tried it under a mower deck but don't know why it wouldn't work). http://www.loctiteproducts.com/products/detail.asp%3fcatid=13&subid=47&plid=168

Here is a link that might be useful: Loctite Rust Neutralizer

Bookmark   April 10, 2010 at 8:40AM
ewalk

Bluelawn: This topic has been discussed at length previously. POR-15 is a very good product a little pricy
but excellent. If you already have some it will work great for the intention you have in mind. If not there are other treatments as has been advised bu the other very knowledgeble forum members . Check out the Prices and go for it .

Bookmark   April 10, 2010 at 9:46AM
More Discussions
John Deere L110
The mower has been sitting for 3 years, it ran when...
paddlingjohn
need a mower
Hi. I'm trying to find a decent self propelled walk...
mjgarden1
Craftsman ZTS 7500
Going to look at a used one of these tomorrow. Anything...
radlee30458
Tru-cut Reel Clutch Adjustment
I've owned this guy since new (1979). Beyond normal...
runner70
Champion Spark Plug lack of quality
Picked up a set of RJ12C's to have on hand when I do...
yt125
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™