B&S 5HP Won't stay Running

wrager(Z5 OH)April 15, 2010

What a surprise...anyway, I found a great deal on an old Lesco power rake with the delta blades. It sat for a long time so I'm sure the carb has a ton of varnish. The carb has the two long tubes the extend into the tank. It will run fine when the tank is full. When the level drops below the shorter tube, the eingine dies. Anyway to clean this without disassembling everything? It has so many springs and rods for the choke and governor, it just looks imposing to take apart.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
evdpgh

I don't know a damn thing about your engine, but if your explanation is correct the solution seems obvious. Either keep the tank full or replace the shorter tube with a longer one.

Bookmark   April 15, 2010 at 9:25PM
rustyj14(W/PA)

I think you have the Pulsa-jet engine, a horizontal shaft engine, with the carburetor that is bolted at an angle to the side of the cylinder, and it also has the fuel tank under it.
If so--go to the lawn mower repair shop, and buy a fuel pump gasket for it. Remove the side plate on the carb, and carefully blow out the holes in there. Install a new pump gasket and bolt it all back up.DO NOT HAVE GAS IN THE TANK FOR THIS! YOU WILL GET A BATH OF GASOLINE! AND WATCH HOW IT GOES BACK TOGETHER! You don't have to remove the carb for this work! Spring in first, then hollow cup, then gasket, then the cap and bolts.
When you get that part fixed, then make sure the tank is full enough to allow the small pan inside the tank to fill up so the carb can suck it in! This is only a one time deal. Next time you go to use it, you'll probably have to fill the tank again, if allowed to set too long.

Bookmark   April 18, 2010 at 1:26PM
wrager(Z5 OH)

Thanks Rusty, that helps!

Bookmark   April 23, 2010 at 8:09AM
More Discussions
Toro Zero turn
Having trouble with Toro Time cutter ZT4200,Koehler...
Amy Bebensee
Tom Boy Lawnmowers????
Has anyone seen or heard of Tom-Boy push lawn mowers????...
bekellog
Need Recommendations For Inexpensive Gas Push Mower With Mulch Bag
I think it's time to retire our old mower, which is...
mimipadv
Lawn-boy F Series - Connecting Rod play ?
I have my Lawn-boy apart to replace upper and lower...
bhap
Honda Mower Problem-Backfire thru Carb?
I have a Honda walk behind that has been awsome until...
jteekell
Sponsored Products
Traditional Concealed 2 Outlet Twin Diverter Thermostatic Shower Valve
Hudson Reed
Stanhope Sofa - NATURAL
$4,299.00 | Horchow
LBL Lighting | Nikko Grill Outdoor Light
$236.00 | YLighting
'Love Is Spoken Here' Iron Wall Sign
$19.99 | zulily
Crestview Ain't From Here Canvas Wall Decor
Beyond Stores