Killing veronica/speedwell?

arcas(z6 KY)May 6, 2009

Veronica/speedwell is slowly taking hold in my yard. I've tried pulling it up but it's outpacing me. Seems every other day I pull up about a half-gallon's worth as measured by my weed bucket.

It's time to escalate. So far I've tried both Ortho Weed-B-Gone Max and Bayer Advanced All-In-One weedkiller using a pump sprayer. It seems like speedwell actually thrives on the Ortho spray. If I didn't know better, I'd guess that it contained fertilizer instead.

After several applications of the Bayer spray at the recommended concentration, the speedwell turns slightly yellow but the yellowed plants return to green if I go more than a week between sprays. On a whim, I poured about a tablespoon of Bayer at full strength on a small cluster of speedwell and it indeed killed it but I obviously cannot do this over the entire yard.

My question: what is available to homeowners that can effectively control this weed? I've read that dithiopyr and isoxaben are both effective but I haven't found anything at the local home center or farm store that contains them.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
andy10917(NY 6a)

Products with 8% Triclopyr will work, but it may take as many as 4 treatments to really get it done. Yes, the products that you've used (check them!) have 1.5% Triclopyr in them, but ground ivy and speedwells laugh at that concentration. You'll find that Ortho's Chickweed, Clover and Oxalis Killer as well as Ortho's Brush-B-Gon Poison Ivy Killer both contain the 8% Triclopyr needed. Treatments should be about 10-14 days apart. Stay on schedule - a late treatment will send you back to the starting line (it recovers too much).

Bookmark   May 7, 2009 at 9:18PM
zhotster

I have this same problem and appreciate your advice Andy! I had put on Weed-B-Gone just over a week ago and it didn't do squat. Today, by chance, I went over all of my speedwell with Ortho's Chickweek, Clover and Oxalis Killer. I now have it on my schedule to keep doing it every 10 days or so.

Bookmark   May 25, 2009 at 9:22PM
dspake(z5 KS)

Kinda late I know, but I had the same issue, and the same results with WBG. I dug into the topic some and found that mecoprop is about the best type of herbicide you can use on speedwell. Fortunately I stumbled across Speedzone (5.8% or so) of MCPP and it really knocked that speedwell for a loop. After just a couple of days I had upwards of 70% turning brown and withering. By the end of two weeks all the speedwell I had sprayed was dead.

Of course it grows so low to the ground that I've still got some popping up, but I'll get to it. I can definately tell that the lawn likes it because those areas where I've beaten the speedwell back in, the grass is growing much better.

Dave

Bookmark   June 16, 2009 at 9:09PM
airchairmom2

Our very large lawn is being taken over more every year by veronica. I read with interest the spray suggestions, but we have two dogs. Is there anything that can help that will not be harmful to the dogs? ( We have about an acre of lawn )

Bookmark   April 11, 2010 at 12:47PM
gags

Is spot spraying the lawn, and then just taking your dogs for a walk in the neighborhood for the next week an option?

Bookmark   April 12, 2010 at 2:28PM
More Discussions
Synthetic rattan or Natural rattan furniture?
Guys, I would like to know your opinion. Which do you...
kevin497
New bermuda sod just installed
It is 30 degrees here and I was told to water every...
420benz
Shady lawn in winter - what seed is best?
Hi, I have a small garden in London, England. Because...
Blighty
Artificial Turf and Gophers
Hello everyone - newbie in gardening here. If I am...
sallophane
Lawn issues (tree roots drying out lawn, uneven ground, grading e
I have been a long time lurker, but this is my first...
tomormatt
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™