Newbie questions:New sod+watering+Rain Bird?
* Our new build's sod was laid in Mid- March.
* Property is in Central VA Richmond.
* Relatively flat around the house & falling away at a 2-3 degrees for drainage.
* Have a Rain Bird Irrigation controller with Weather Sensor.
* Was watering once a day for up to 60 minutes until this past weekend since Mid March.
* Lawn looks rooted in now & Green & Thick in most places but some patchiness here & there.
* First cut was last weekend to take about an inch off the top. Expecting to cut again this weekend to get to the 2.5"-3" range for fescue.
These are general watering questions:
1) Spent a good couple of hours reading the Rain Bird manual this past weekend & cut back watering cycle to Max 30 mins in each zone. But still letting the Rain Bird control when & how many time to water. - Good idea?
I thought the rule of thumb in most places is to deeply water once a week for 30 mins & maybe another day in tough conditions. Trusting the Rain Bird would mean maybe more than once a week.
2) Any good guidance on how to program the Rain Bird for optimal usage?
3) Best time to water 4am-10am? I have it set within this window - Good?
Would appreciate any feedback.
New grass already making me nervous but throw in a complex controller like the Rain Bird & we are talking scared senseless.
This post was edited by pbx2 on Tue, May 7, 13 at 17:05