Garden Wagon

calicocat1967August 24, 2011

Hi Everyone, Have not been here for awhile....busy busy. But I just wanted to share my wagon with you. I entered this in our local fair in the container category. The judge thought it was too artistic for this category. It was so fun to do. I will be doing another for next summer for sure. Hope you enjoy, Kim

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Purplemoon

Calico...it is "artistic" but that judge should have given you FIRST place for it!! The mini garden design is just delightful.

Nice to see you posting again.
hugs, Karen

Bookmark   August 24, 2011 at 3:23PM
calicocat1967

Have another picture.......Better view

Thanks Karen for the nice comments.

Bookmark   August 24, 2011 at 3:38PM
chelcass(Z5 Michigan, U.P.)

Sounds like they need a new judge...........Duh! I think it's great. Just love those old wagons. The little bench, well house and arbor are too cute. :)

Bookmark   August 24, 2011 at 3:39PM
concretenprimroses(4B NH)

Yah I don't get the judge. Its is certainly artistic and beautiful.
What kinds of things did other people enter? Nothing artistic apparently!
Kathy

Bookmark   August 24, 2011 at 3:39PM
kirkus(5a)

Just beautiful! LOVE THIS!!!! So creative! My late Mom entered a zucchini cake once in the fair and had it on an antique, white dish...a judge said her plate was too distracting...the other judges must've liked it as she won first place. :o) You did an incredible job. I give you BEST OF SHOW! Bear Hugs! Kirk

Bookmark   August 24, 2011 at 4:05PM
sunnyca_gw

Wow! Wonder what this guy judges, he sure has poor taste! That is a beautiful wagon. My old Radio Flyer just "kicked the bucket", went to pull it to mow under it & thing holding the back wheels on rusted through & it fell over. I had put a board in it couple years back to keep the plants upright. So hope you lined it with heavy plastic or don't care if it goes in few years. It's a great idea & nice thing is, if it doesn't do well in 1 area just move it to another & in winter close to house or in garage where it can get light.You should have gotten 1st prize! Jan

Bookmark   August 24, 2011 at 6:47PM
jeannespines

Another NE Iowan here, calico...what constitutes the "container category?" I think you have a very original container here & filled it with pride! From GJ standards, you recycled & yes, a BEST OF SHOW ribbon for you! Love it! TFS! Jeanne S.

Bookmark   August 25, 2011 at 12:25AM
nonacook(8bFL)

Love it!!!
The judge obviously didn't!
What is wrong with him/her? LOL

Bookmark   August 25, 2011 at 9:38AM
marylee_2010

Your mini garden is delightful. I love it. You did a wonderful job.

Marylee

Bookmark   August 25, 2011 at 10:24AM
soxxxx

Was there a separate artistic category?

If not, the judge seemed to be making the rules to suit him/herself.

If yours did not win, the winner must have been a super duper, hand clapping, world shattering entry..

Bookmark   August 25, 2011 at 1:25PM
Marlene Kindred

WOW! LOVE your miniature wagon garden! So many different plants...love that you have a hosta in there too! I agree...should have won FIRST PRIZE!

Bookmark   August 25, 2011 at 2:17PM
calicocat1967

Thanks all for your wonderful responses. In all fairness the category was just called Patio Container. Well in my mind that spelled out a wagon with miniature plants. :-) The other containers were very nice, but hey were your typical geraniums, spikes, petunias, etc. Don't get me wrong I have containers that contain them as well, I just wanted to be different, but look what different got me LOL !!! Oh well I guess I know better for next year.

Thanks again.

Kim

Bookmark   August 25, 2011 at 3:21PM
jeannespines

In all fairness, calico...this is an extraordinary idea for 'container gardening'...you should have 'placed!' Ahhh, 'judges!' LOL! Jeanne S.

Bookmark   August 25, 2011 at 8:19PM
nanatricia

It is just so cool!!!!!!!!!!!!I love it!!!

Bookmark   August 25, 2011 at 9:33PM
sunnyca_gw

If there had been a different judge she probably would have won for a "unique & original" container with ease of movement on the patio. What could be better! Most judges go for "different", sorry yours didn't! Jan

Bookmark   August 26, 2011 at 1:51AM
soxxxx

I do not think that the judge is a member of our Garden Junk forum, He/she coud use some enlighenment.

Bookmark   August 26, 2011 at 2:27PM
diggery(z8)

QUOTE:Oh well I guess I know better for next year.

Um...NO.

Ditch that stinkin thinkin. Do not *dumb down* your entry just because a judge has no vision. Agreeing with Kirk here...BEST OF SHOW.

(hey, who ya gonna listen to? an ingnorant judge or the multitude of visionaries here?)

YOU ROCK!

blessings,
~digger

Bookmark   August 26, 2011 at 11:04PM
Calamity_J(z7bc)

If they(judges) were real quite and struck around till midnight...they woulda seen the faeries, who surely come out and sit on that bench....delighting in a perfect garden....

Bookmark   August 27, 2011 at 11:37AM
9bark(6 semi-desert)

Wow wow! That is really gorgeous! Very zen. Thank you for sharing! More!

Bookmark   August 27, 2011 at 4:22PM
beatrice_outdoors(6a MA)

Please don't ever change your artistic style because of what a judge said. From the fairs that I've been to they often have a stick somewhere that needs removing. I think they only follow what they know, and have a big head because they are a "judge." It may take them a little while to get out of their own idea box. Keep entering your creative ideas, and soon the fair will be asking YOU to judge for artistic design.

Your piece is fabulous!!!!!

Bookmark   August 28, 2011 at 8:44AM
calicocat1967

Thanks again all for the positive comments. You are right I am going to keep doing my own thing. Even if they do not like it.

Kim

Bookmark   August 29, 2011 at 2:56PM
More Discussions
Re purposing A Window
Hi, I just got all new windows for my house, and don't...
gabby811 6 NJ
Good garden markers needed soon
Does anyone know where I can get good garden markers?...
Corkelcol
Need to repurpose a leaking birdbath
Yesterday was one of the nicest days in ages; I could...
patty2430
Satellite dish
My first attempt at painting a discarded dish that...
oldcrafty
Changing landscape
We moved in 15 years ago. In the process of cutting...
arcy_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™