White/Brown Patches - Looks like disease?

mark8967(6)May 14, 2013

Hi;
I live in northern ct. Late last summer I began noticing whiteish brown patches in my lawn. These began to spread. I was diligent about fertilizing - used Scotts (1,2, 3, 4). This spring I noticed the patches were still spreading, even after fertilization (scotts step 1). I will be sending out a soil sample for analysis but would welcome any other suggestions for how to resolve. The lawn is also getting thinner in those areas - grass appears to eventually die there.

Thanks for the help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bogey123

Do you have pets or a deer problem? It looks something like pee damage. It could be a fungus, are these patches have a red tinge, or brown tinge? or possibly white tinge? Are they in spirals or circles? Can't tell from your photo.

What happens when you rake out the dead grass, does it come back indicating top growth problem but crown of the grass plant is ok?

Bookmark   May 16, 2013 at 8:55PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dchall_san_antonio(8 San Antonio)

Good questions from boogey. Can you take another picture close up showing some blades of brown, green, and anything that looks like it might be halfway brown and green?

Looks like you have a mix of grasses. Do you know what the predominate grasses or mix is? I'm guessing fescue but is there any Kentucky bluegrass?

Bookmark   May 18, 2013 at 11:01PM
More Discussions
What type of grass grows best is very shady areas in South East Texas?
I live in South East Texas and have many trees and...
dcloteaux1350
Artificial Turf and Gophers
Hello everyone - newbie in gardening here. If I am...
sallophane
New bermuda sod just installed
It is 30 degrees here and I was told to water every...
420benz
I need lawn renovation help in Zone 7/8
I want to renovate my 24,000 sq ft lawn. The problem...
tless195
Synthetic rattan or Natural rattan furniture?
Guys, I would like to know your opinion. Which do you...
kevin497
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™