New Briggs OHV lawnmower and power washer engine ?

vinnie_s(NJ)April 29, 2014

I am in the market for a new mower and power washer. I had a 6 HP Quantum which was indestructible for 15 years, and stll runs like new. Are the new OHV engines from Briggs as reliable as the Quantums were? There also seems to be a quiet version of them now.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.briggsandstratton.com/us/en/engines/push-mower-engines

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tomplum

I'm OK with them. I'm not a fan of the "value priced" models that have the plastic bowl carburetors. Many have the similar carb as the Quantums you had experienced with.

Bookmark   April 29, 2014 at 9:40PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bluemower

The carburetor on the larger OHV mower engine is similar to the carburetor on the Quantum carburetor.

The plastic carburetor is a new design that is used on the small 550 series engine. This is more difficult to clean and rebuild. It has an important advantage that the ethanol fuel will not cause corrosion. The design allows the internal areas to be further disassembled for cleaning.

The quantum series will probably be discontinued in 2015 due to emission requirements. The carburetor was very simple to service. The method of mounting was superior than all the other engines (in my opinion).

Bookmark   April 30, 2014 at 10:34AM
More Discussions
John Deere L110
The mower has been sitting for 3 years, it ran when...
paddlingjohn
Craftsman Lawn Mower Model#917258860 won't turn left
I just bought a Craftsman Lawn Mower with a 46"...
russph3
Bosch Rotak 36 Rotary Lawnmower
I am currently studying for a Horticulture qualification...
jen9716599
need a mower
Hi. I'm trying to find a decent self propelled walk...
mjgarden1
Need Craftsman mower grass bag
I have a very old, but really good condition Craftsman...
olddaddy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™