nor a mower but a B&S motor. . .

babera(5a (Montana))April 19, 2014

I hope I can get some answers here. . . I added oil to my Troy-Bilt pressure washer, I way over filled it. (I added almost the entire qt :( as I was using it, it started making weird noises but nothing serious. . . for about 3 mins after adding the oil. . . all of the sudden it blew a big puff of black smoke came out and it stopped running. Oil was leaking out. . . BLACK oil. . . so I found the plug and drained it, but there wasn't much oil to come out. . . about 1/2" in a red solo cup. . . after a bit I pulled the rope just to see what it would do. . . the rope is seized up. . .

Did I ruin it. . ? Is there anything that can be done to fix it? My hubby is home now and he's pretty mechanically inclined so he can probably fix it. . . (he'll probably feel offended that I even tried to get on-line help. . .

Thank in advance for your help. . . and yes I deserve an A$$ chewing. . . go ahead. . .

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bluemower

here are the initial steps:
1. place the shut off control in the off position.
2. remove the sparkplug lead and position away from the sparkplug.
3. remove the sparkplug.
4. all that oil is somewhere in the engine, so continue to drain oil from the drain.
5. slowly pull the rope to see if the engine crankshaft will turn. Oil may come out of the sparkplug hole.

do not attempt to start the engine until all this excess oil is cleaned up. chances are the excess oil found a way into the combustion chamber. Some of the oil may have gotten into the muffler or the carburetor and you may need help to figure this out

Problems like this can usually be corrected, but if the 1 quart of oil was added to oil that was already in the crankcase, you may have caused permanent damage.

Bookmark   April 19, 2014 at 1:00PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
babera(5a (Montana))

Thanks Bluemower. . .Thanks for the helpful advice. I'm pretty sure there may have been oil in the crankcase. . . there was enough to show a smidge on the dip stick. . . but there wasn't enough to start it so I'm not sure there. I guess we will find out when hubby gets into it. . . I'm just sick over the whole thing. . . .thanks again. . .

Bookmark   April 19, 2014 at 5:57PM
More Discussions
airens 1534 mini zoom no crank
I've got a 15hp Briggs motor that I attempted to jump...
baldo6878
Gas leak in Toro CCR 3650 Snowthrower
Hello all, I know this is a lawn mower forum, however...
jlaak5
21" self-propelled, which has most reliable drive system?
Hi there, I'm looking to replace my Ariens Classic...
kwk1
Troy Built Super Bronco dies when PTO engaged
I was mowing for someone and hit an old TV cable wire...
jmunson92
why does it kick back
why does a briggfs stratton mower kick back
lbpeterbuilt
Sponsored Products
Nectarine - Satin Orange Shade Apothecary Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Kichler Black Mini Pendant 1-Light
PLFixtures
Laurel Court Giclee Shade 12x12x8.5 (Spider)
$59.99 | Lamps Plus
Matthews Fan Company | Italo Ventania Ceiling Fan
YLighting
Blue Star Group Dining Furniture TERRACE MATES Daniella 5-Piece Coffee Patio
Home Depot
Elk Lighting Mirage Cabinet - 6042341
$998.00 | Hayneedle
ECR4KIDS Softzone Tri-Level Climber - ELR-12616
$394.99 | Hayneedle
Sangria Room-Darkening Backtab Window Valance
$19.99 | Bellacor
People viewed this after searching for: