brand new kohler engine doesnt want to start easy

mulishamicApril 30, 2010

i have a 52" scag walk behind and i had to buy a new engine for it 18 horse power kohler command cv493t pull start. when i first put it on it fired right up let it run for a bit and then mowed the yard for about 20 minutes. let it sit for a few days tried to start and had to pull for about five minutes before it would start. runs great when it finally starts. changed plug still the same, checked the ignition module to kohler specs sais its good, not any of the safety devices, checked all of those, key switch is good any suggestions could the ignition module still be bad. anyone have this problem thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ericwi

If it runs great when it finally starts, the ignition module sounds OK to me. How are you priming this thing? Is there any way to check out the primer, and find out if it is actually working?

Bookmark   April 30, 2010 at 2:27PM
mulishamic

it has a choke and i am choking it but it does not even spit and sputter it just sounds flat once it starts runs great has me puzzled

Bookmark   April 30, 2010 at 3:10PM
mulishamic

took the module off of a old kohler 14 horse seems to be starting better but not where it seems it should be checked the old module and the resistance was 5000 less ohms i dont know if that really makes that much difference or not

Bookmark   April 30, 2010 at 6:27PM
More Discussions
Advice Needed on a Used Mclane Reel Mower
Hello! I live in Southern California (San Fernando...
hbcsc153
I have a Tecumseh 5hp egine no spark
I measure the ohms from the following. I placed one...
Nutty1269
Need Craftsman mower grass bag
I have a very old, but really good condition Craftsman...
olddaddy
John Deere L110
The mower has been sitting for 3 years, it ran when...
paddlingjohn
Mclane 20" mower at Sears... why so inexpensive?
Hey everyone, I want to get yall's input on a mower...
bobbarker14
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™