Help! New sod lawn is getting more yellow by the day!

JenniferLee23May 29, 2014

Hello,
We just installed a sod lawn 7 days ago. Before it was installed we got the soil tested and prepped the area. Each day more and more sod turns yellow, it isn't just along the edges as I have seen in other posts, but also occurs in large patches throughout the 7,000 square feet. We think we are doing things correctly - water 2x a day, once at around 5am and again at 5pm. We don't have a sprinkler system, but have been using "rain trains" and other spritzer and fan sprinklers.
Here is the confusing part for us. The sod is moist, the ground under the sod is moist (I would say 3-4 inches deep) but the yellowing sod itself is very dry and brittle. Additionally, the sod is starting to root (even the yellow stuff) - but the sod itself looks very unhealthy.
The sod is a 3 blend Kentucky Bluegrass. Another important note is that our lot slopes so the soil is much "wetter" at the bottom than it is at the top portion of our lawn. We can't decide if we are over watering or under watering.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, it is so hard to see such a time-intensive and expensive project go downhill so quickly!
Thank you so much in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yardtractor1

If the soil is moist to that level, it is very possible you are over watering. Even if the water is not a source of the problem, you are wasting water. You do not want the sod to be "squishy" when walked on. How long are you watering each time? What have been the daily high and low temperatures since you laid the sod? Look at your grass blades for signs of disease like lesions and fungus. Google for images and descriptions of KB turf diseases and compare those pictures to your blades.
How did you prep the soil? Did you add amendments? What amendments? How did you incorporate the amendments? How long before you laid the sod?

Bookmark   May 29, 2014 at 5:11PM
More Discussions
New house in Zone 8- needing advice
first post here. i live in the Little Rock area and...
wt168048
Poor Drainage Area - Ideas?
All of you seem to come up with such good solutions...
BirkdaleSteve
What type of weed is this?
Having trouble getting rid of this weed. Does anyone...
mikest00
Overseeding KBG with a Different Type of Seed?
We live in the High Desert area of southern California....
kendog2
Dead grass from winter need to reseed now advice?
I plan on thatching my lawn of the dead grass and reseeding...
xxnonamexx
Sponsored Products
Owl Chalkboard
$16.99 | Dot & Bo
Nanimarquina | Practik Rug
YLiving.com
Levolor Panel Track Blinds: Solar Screen 10
Blindsgalore
Mistie Rug 12' x 15' - KHAKI
$6,599.00 | Horchow
Le Corbusier LC3 Inspired Grand Sofa-Oatmeal Tweed
IFN Modern