Help with new Lawn

zbond007May 17, 2012

Last year, I tilled my yard and planted a bermuda grass that I was told it was Yukon when I bought it but ended up finding out that it was transcontinental and it doesn't look or feel the way I want it to. It has covered most of the yard but can't be mowed as low as I want. I will be replacing that with either Tifway 419 sod or Laprima XD seed. My question is, do I need to kill the bermuda grass before I cut it out with a sod cutter since it is only a year old. The roots go down about 5 or 6 inches in some areas. Or, will cutting out the new bermuda be enough. Any other good tips would be appreciated. Maybe, alternatives to what I am planning. Thanks for your responses.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dchall_san_antonio(8 San Antonio)

If you want it to look like Tif 419, then you need to get Tif 419. Nothing you can get in a seed looks like that.

If you don't want a mixed looking lawn, then you need to kill the common variety you already planted.

Where do you live? West Texas is bigger than most people think.

By the way, don't till again in prep for grass - especially for bermuda. The soil will continue to settle unevenly for 3 years leaving you with a bumpy surface.

Bookmark   May 19, 2012 at 12:53AM
zbond007

I live in Lubbock, TX. And I will not be tilling again. I have began the process of killing the bermuda with round up and I will level the ground with sand. Then I will seed with Princess 77. And top that off by rolling and putting peet moss on top of it. Let me know if this sounds good. Thanks

Bookmark   May 21, 2012 at 12:08AM
zbond007

I live in Lubbock, TX. And I will not be tilling again. I have began the process of killing the bermuda with round up and I will level the ground with sand. Then I will seed with Princess 77. And top that off by rolling and putting peet moss on top of it. Let me know if this sounds good. Thanks

Bookmark   May 21, 2012 at 12:09AM
david_tx(7a North Texas)

I converted my front yard from common Bermuda to Princess77 several years ago. My plan was a lot like yours. RU on the common, a dethatcher/flail rake to remove the dead grass, more RU for the stuff that survived the first round, seed, and roller. I didn't bother with peat moss.

I assume you know this but don't buy the Princess77 seed from a box store. It looks cheap enough until you realize that there's more filler than seed in those bags.

Bookmark   May 21, 2012 at 11:29AM
More Discussions
Termite in my yard
I have termites eating my grass roots and killing the...
kmiec
Lawn after so much snow…what do I need to know?
A newbie here so I haven't maintained a lawn for a...
Pippin
just bought hybrid bermuda sod will be here in a week. any tips? Socal
hello all I live in southern california and have tifgreen...
bnsand210
Is this sod completely dead? Any hope?
Our beautiful sod went from looking like this, after...
knatalie
Re-seeding tall fescue in winter
My tall fescue lawn has become really sparse. So I'm...
LeonidasBigalowIV
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™