Is electric mower safe on excessively wet lawn

mariinoregonApril 11, 2010

My lawn is extremely wet, very spongy and my feet get wet walking on it. The experience is much like walking on a saturated kitchen sponge. Is it safe to use an electric lawnmower (corded not battery powered) on it? The lawnmower is a Black and Decker model I purchased two seasons ago.

It's been raining very regularly here for the last three weeks. Two to three days rain or more and then a day of sun and then back to rain.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ericwi

I personally would not use a corded electric mower in the conditions you describe. However, the risk of electric-shock can be reduced if you are using a three conductor, grounded, extension cord, plugged into a GFIC outlet, that has been tested, and is known to be working. In your situation, I would be using a different type of mower, either gas-powered, or battery powered, to cut the grass.

Bookmark   April 11, 2010 at 3:34PM
chesapeakebeach

+1 or ericwi's answer. Also, I suspect the mower is never going to cut correctly with so much wet grass getting balled up under the deck.

I'd just suck it up and wait for the ground to dry a bit, and then go over the grass twice -- once with the wheels as high as they'll go, and then again (maybe after raking) to make the grass a bit neater and shorter.

Bookmark   April 12, 2010 at 4:59AM
rustyj14(W/PA)

BZZZZZTTT!! "Guess i should have bought the gasoline powered machine! But, at least, i have a nice puffy cloud on which to loll around on, watching and waiting fer my dear wife to get electrocuted by the same mower!"

Bookmark   April 14, 2010 at 10:08PM
orangedotfever

Buy an extension cord plug with a GFCI built into it. Then you can use it anywhere.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link

Bookmark   April 19, 2010 at 10:03AM
wh312-8

let the ground dry out

Bookmark   April 19, 2010 at 7:00PM
More Discussions
snow throwing
older blower. 7hp, 24" width, 14" auger....
joe_mn
Advice Needed on a Used Mclane Reel Mower
Hello! I live in Southern California (San Fernando...
hbcsc153
john deere RX75 belt diagram
I have a Rx75 with 9hp motor. I bought it used and...
jeremy_2010
Engine trouble! B&S 13.5hp
My old Heritage ride-on has a Briggs& Stratton...
Over_here
Bad ignition coil magneto on Tecumseh
Is there a more economical solution to replacing a...
don_v
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™