My fairy garden...

cadillactasteAugust 30, 2012

I made this back in July 2011. My friend had made one prior, which I had commented that I thought it cute. So while my son and husband were away on a mission trip. She took me to Amish Country where they had a shop with fairy garden items to make up your own or ones already done up. I fell in love with the bird planter with the Angel Ivy already in it. So I went with the "bird" theme and went from there.

While creating my fairy garden there...I had assembled it on the counter. Next thing I know another customer comes over and grabs my planter and goes to take it right out from under me! As she slid it closer to her on the counter. I was like..."EXCUUUUSSSE MEEEE!?! [but in a soft voice]" She was like..."I just LOVE this fairy garden!" I was like..."Well, thank you. So do I, thus why I assembled it to get a visual before taking it home." She was like..."Ohhhh you don't work here then." I was like..."Nope, sorry I don't this one I just made up for myself."

I love how the ivy drapes down over the planter.

I got a faux tree at a craft store along with some purple flowers and just cut off the blooms and stuck them in the ground for some more color came later. I wanted a bonsai tree but the care for one didn't allow me to disrupt my ivy roots by removing a buried pot to soak the tree. This was the next best thing.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Marlene Kindred

Welcome to the forum Cadillactaste!! We love fairy gardens here and yours is especially nice. Love the bonsai tree and the little chair with the faux flowers, but I especially like the container! Is it made of stone or concrete? Really cute. Thanks so much for sharing it with us and I hope you'll share more of your projects with us too.

Bookmark   August 30, 2012 at 5:55PM
cadillactaste

Thank you Marlene for your kind words. I was extremely pleased with how it turned out. Surprised because in my head I envisioned something completely different when I headed out that day to put together or purchase a fairy garden.

The little chair is actually a garden gate that I hung a bird house from.

As to the container. That was what "sold me" on making my very own fairy garden. I just HAD to have it. What it's made from...I almost think it is a type of pottery with a stone distressed finish.

We're trying to plan another Amish Country trip. I so would love to do an outdoor fairy garden. Though I wonder if it's to late in the year to really plan one. Or if one just brings it inside...since I'm leaning toward some sort of container style.

Bookmark   August 30, 2012 at 8:31PM
luvs2click

Love it! Is the store by any chance called "Country Gatherings" in Berlin, OH?

Arlene

Bookmark   August 30, 2012 at 10:09PM
sunnyca_gw

No wonder the lady wanted it!! Very nice & love the fairy & birdhouse with gate. The container is so natural looking. TFS Jan

Bookmark   August 31, 2012 at 12:08AM
laurastheme(8)

I love it!! I've never made a fairy garden, but this is inspiring me to try one.

Bookmark   August 31, 2012 at 3:09AM
nonacook(8bFL)

Glad you found us so we can see the wonderful
creation you made!
I just read your member page--so glad you posted
a paragraph there! Most people don't. I love it
when they do.
Come back often!

Bookmark   August 31, 2012 at 7:31AM
cadillactaste

Recently added this bird bath...just realized that I didn't post a current photo from photobucket.

Arlene it very possibly was that store...that was where we went shopping.

Thanks Jan, I wasn't rude to the woman who tried to take it...because I took it as a compliment!

Laurastheme I say GO FOR IT! It was quite fun putting this together. Again totally in the opposite direction as I had pictured in my minds eye.

Bookmark   August 31, 2012 at 8:44AM
toomuchglass(5)

I'm just amazed everytime I see one of the gardens.

Bookmark   August 31, 2012 at 11:41AM
Marlene Kindred

I LOVE the birdbath! So cool! And I have no idea why I thought that was a chair...it plainly has a birdhouse hanging from it...oh well, yesterday was a very long day.

Bookmark   August 31, 2012 at 9:49PM
jeannespines

Oh this is very cool! You chose just the right accessories for it! No wonder that lady slid it her way! I love the container & the ivy plant, too! Jeanne S.

Bookmark   August 31, 2012 at 10:58PM
cadillactaste

Marlene we've all had days like that...I call it a garden gate, but it very likely is also a trellis. lol To each person's vision I reckon.

Jeanne, thanks! The ivy at first looked centered and draped the entire planter. But I was easily able to pull it back to one side. The container is what sold me on it. I am an avid bird watcher...and have bird accessories around the house. So this was just so fitting for my decor.

Bookmark   September 1, 2012 at 8:27AM
More Discussions
glass insulators
WWYD? A friend gave me close to 100 glass telephone...
chickiebabeblue
Changing landscape
We moved in 15 years ago. In the process of cutting...
arcy_gw
Anybody on here from say 10 years ago?
looking for someone because I lost touch with them...
gardnpondr
Using paint samples outside ?
Hi all ! I was wondering if anyone knows if we can...
Lilyfinch z7 mid tn
Changing Landscape part TWO
The time has come. A new idea is a must come spring....
arcy_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™