Cutting Sod Into Plugs

fruitjarflaMay 31, 2010

Do you think that a paper trimmer would work - to cut sod into plugs? I have tried various cutting tools to slice sod into plugs but haven't found a good one yet. The kind I refer to is the old style cleaver attached to a heavy board. Buying plugs from just a relatively short distance costs about as much to ship as the plugs (St. Augustine plugs, for example). A cutter would be very handy since the local Home Depot and Lowes sell sod throughout the summer.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
botanicalbill(9b SWFlorida)

I though of doing the exact same as you stated. I found that flipping the sod over, root side up and a swift swing of a machette will cut almost all sods. I did 4 pallets of Empire turf. Each layer into 36 peices. I had over 4000 plugs, 8"x8".
Another way is to use a chain saw. Stack up 4-8 peices of sod and cut right through it. Its quick but youll mess up the chainsaw.
Back to your orginal question, no, I do not think a paper cutter will work well. The sod is to heavy for it.

Bookmark   May 31, 2010 at 9:29PM
gags

To cut through KBG sod, I just used a utility knife with the blade extended about an inch or two. Even though it was a "snap-off" blade, it didn't break at all and was fairly easy to cut with. (I'd still wear leather gardening gloves, just to be safe).

--Gags

Bookmark   June 1, 2010 at 4:24PM
lazy_gardens

Machete has my vote.

Get a nice heavy one with a straight blade and you can whack anything into pieces.

Like this one:

Bookmark   June 1, 2010 at 9:37PM
ALBOY

Joined Gardenweb so could tell you guys how I cut sod for plugs. CIRCULAR SAW AND MASONERY BLADE WILL GET IT DONE

Bookmark   April 24, 2014 at 10:13AM
More Discussions
Two questions on landscape services and lawn maintenance
For the most part I have a pretty normal lawn. Last...
yuag
spreader settings not on fertilizer bags?
I recently had a soil test(s) on my yard and had a...
hc803
Is this sod completely dead? Any hope?
Our beautiful sod went from looking like this, after...
knatalie
Termite in my yard
I have termites eating my grass roots and killing the...
kmiec
Artificial Grass Maintenance?
I'm newbie in gardening. I want to know what kind of...
kevin497
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™