Blade on too tight

gregnga(7)April 13, 2013

My lawn mower shop has a habit of putting my blade on so tight I can't get it off without bringing it back to them. Can some one suggest a tool/way I can get it off myself next time

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
baymee(LehighValleyPA)

Disconnect the spark plug wire. Turn it up on its side with the carburetor facing up and the gas tank less than half full. Use a block of wood to prevent the blade from turning. Use a wrench or socket and a long pipe which fits over the end of the wrench or ratchet. It will come loose.

Bookmark   April 13, 2013 at 9:30PM
rustyj14(W/PA)

Remember these words of instruction: Lefty-loosey/ righty-tighty! From the sage of mower fixers. RJ!

Bookmark   April 28, 2013 at 2:46PM
tom_nwnj(z6 NJ)

Impact Wrench. That put it on, that will take it off.

Bookmark   May 7, 2013 at 5:44PM
bsmith717(6)

PB blaster???

Bookmark   May 10, 2013 at 12:55AM
ggoyeneche

Your mower shop is over-torquing the bolt. Most mowers use a 3/8-24 blade bolt (9/16" wrench), which should not be torqued beyond 60ft/lbs for a Grade 8, and less for a Grade 5.

Toro uses a 7/16-20 bolt (5/8" wrench), which torques to 80ft/lbs max. for Grade 8. Also some riding mowers with large single blades also use 7/16 -20 bolt.

Next time they have the mower, tell them you want the bolt torques appropriate to the size and grade of the bolt. As an earlier poster suggested, they are probably using an impact wrench, and banging as hard as the wrench will deliver.

Remind these guys that too much torque is just as dangerous as too little torque, and if the bolt fails because of their practices, they will be involved.

Bookmark   May 10, 2013 at 12:44PM
rcmoser

I have never failed to get one broken loose using 1/2" breaker bar and pipe extension. I also use pentrating oil and 2 by 4 wooden block cut to proper length and notched so it catches the blade good.

I guess mower shops are like tire shops. Most know they are suspose to torque to spec's, but most use the impact wrench cause we don't like to wait and this saves 30 seconds.

Bookmark   May 10, 2013 at 8:27PM
walt2002

I have failed to get some off using conventional methods.that were obviously put on with an impact. I have had to grind the heads off the bolts and in one case, weld a nut on the bolt after cutting off the head and removing the blade.

While 60 lbs is max recommended by most, I use torque wrench to 40 lbs. 60 lbs is to keep blade from spinning loose when electric PTO is disengaged and required blade brake engages. I have had no problem at 40 lbs.

Walt Conner

Bookmark   May 12, 2013 at 9:08AM
More Discussions
why does it kick back
why does a briggfs stratton mower kick back
lbpeterbuilt
Troy Bilt 21inch Push Mower w/B&S Engine
I have an 11A-426A711. I prime it and it starts and...
gordini39
Tecumseh Starting Issues
Ok, for a bald man I just have no more hair to pull...
unciet
Honda Mower Problem-Backfire thru Carb?
I have a Honda walk behind that has been awsome until...
jteekell
Gas leak in Toro CCR 3650 Snowthrower
Hello all, I know this is a lawn mower forum, however...
jlaak5
Sponsored Products
Elena Vesper Fog Outdoor Sofa
$2,885.00 | Horchow
Toscano Dining Chairs (Set of 2) - Cordova Picante Orange
Joybird Furniture
Kenroy Home Brent Outdoor Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Champlain Non-Monogram Coco Mat
$99.50 | FRONTGATE
3.5� Colored Lighthouse Box
Classic Hostess