The thrill of victory - Snapper Hi-Vac Reborn!
I have finished repairing and reassembling my "free" 1984 Snapper Hi-Vac. Total cost to me, $6 for misc parts, $4 for misc nuts and bolts and $7 for a little bottle of transaxle grease. I repaired the broken drive axle with the spare parts provided with the mower, was a dirty job but only took about 30 minutes and was pretty straightforward. Reassembly of the rear axle unit was easy, aided by propping the handle up on a post. The new height adjuster handles and axle bearing brackets went together easy and after checking everything for clearance and proper fir it was time to fire it up. The Wisconsin-Robin engine came to life after only 4 pulls, not bad for an old engine running on stale gas and without a primer bulb. It just sat there running nice as could be, much smoother and quieter than my old Lawnboy. I ran it through all the speeds, the dreivetrain seems to be working properly, the slowest speed is plenty fast enough for regular mowing, the fastest speed could pull me down the sidewalk on rollorblades almost faster than I can run. The drive is solid and responsive, should handle wet spots, hills and other tough conditions without much trouble. The blade clutch starts smoothly but makes a bit of a noise when I release it, I am a bit concerned as this could be a costly repair. Oh well, I will try to minimize it's use as much as I can. Overall it's a very solid mower and I can't wait to put it into action for the first time this season.