John Deere L120 belts not tensioning...please help

ozhawk(6)April 6, 2010

I just pulled my John Deere out to do my first cut of the season and when I flip the blade handle up the flywheel under the engine turns, but the belts above the mowing deck don't tighten to spin the blades. I thought maybe there were grass clippings or something stopping them from moving into place so I cleaned the deck and made sure there was nothing under the deck stopping the blades. Can someone please tell me what the issue may be? I sprayed the top of the deck off to make sure that it is completely debris free and noticed that there is a lot of play in the cable that leads from the lever that activates the blade also.

I am really in need here and since my wife got sick I work two jobs and won't have anymore time off for a while and my grass is about 7 inches long now.

I am not that familiar with riding mowers, but am relatively handy w/walk behinds etc and minor auto repair. Also if there is an online diagram that will help I would appreciate an address on that.

Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tomplum

My guess is either the belt hopped of one of the pulleys or the tensioner arm is stuck. Cable? Isn't this an electric PTO?

Bookmark   April 6, 2010 at 6:04PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ozhawk(6)

I am sorry it is a 102 I believe, but the cable that I am speaking about leads from the mower blade engagment handle down to the deck.

Bookmark   April 6, 2010 at 6:23PM
More Discussions
Snapper 21 BBC Rehab complete! see pics
Guys, Finally after much effort I finished the Snapper...
quickrick
Reel Mower for Bermuda Lawn?
I was looking at the Fiskars StaySharp Max Reel Mower...
void.pointer
Looking to replace the LB
I've been using a 2003 Lawnboy 10323 for over a decade...
pacochu
Need Craftsman mower grass bag
I have a very old, but really good condition Craftsman...
olddaddy
Craftsman ZTS 7500
Going to look at a used one of these tomorrow. Anything...
radlee30458
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™