Snapper lawn mower woes

bigbob1122April 10, 2012

Hello everyone. I'm working on a Snapper Quantum XM self-propelled mower and just can't seem to get it to start. It has a 5hp Briggs and Stratton motor.

I took the carburetor apart and cleaned it out completely using carb cleaner and a wire to clean out the jets. I also repaired the primer bulb since it was dry rotted. The spark plug is fine and the primer bulb is working.

If I remove the spark plug and put a small amount of gas in the plug socket and then put the plug back in and reconnect it, I can get the mower to start but it will only run for 3-5 seconds before shutting off. This is the only way I can get it to start. Trying to start it by using the primer bulb first does nothing. The fuel lines are in good shape and there aren't any clogs.

What else can cause this besides the carburetor? It seems like everything I try gives me the same result. Only starting when I put a smalle amount of gas in the spark plug socket.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lumniaman58

can you pour a little gas in carb and will it start.if it dose start its the carb. if it dose not start sound like the intake value is not opening. its a long shot but good luck

Bookmark   April 10, 2012 at 8:41PM
andyb1

you need to replace the primer housing gasket ,thats the gasket thats sets on the plastic housing that mounts to the carb,it takes one but sometimes it needs two to prime,if she wont prime it wont start.

Bookmark   April 10, 2012 at 10:08PM
seakaye12

andyb1....the OP says that his primer bulb is working.....

How do you know that it's working? With the air cleaner removed you should be able to see a squirt of gas in the carb throat after a few pushes of the bulb. Are you seeing that?

If not...take the bowl off and see if there's any fuel in there. If it's dry....re-check the needle and seat.

With the carb off the engine and the bowl removed.....
Blow through the fuel inlet with the carb inverted. You should not be able to blow. Turn the carb right-side-up and blow...you should be able to.

Let us know what happens...

Chuck

Bookmark   April 12, 2012 at 11:49PM
More Discussions
need a mower
Hi. I'm trying to find a decent self propelled walk...
mjgarden1
New Toro Push Mower?
I am looking to replace an 11 year old Toro Recycler,...
seashells18
Honda HRX217
Had it for 10 years and is the best mower I ever had....
bob3d
Engine trouble! B&S 13.5hp
My old Heritage ride-on has a Briggs& Stratton...
Over_here
I have a Tecumseh 5hp egine no spark
I measure the ohms from the following. I placed one...
Nutty1269
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™