Lawn mower doesnt stay on

ectreyApril 12, 2010

Hi, I have a Toro 20017 22" Personal Pace for eight years now. It's been working fine ever since until now. When I pull the rope to start it, it starts but after 2-3 seconds, it dies out. Help, please?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ggoyeneche

Old gas has probably turned to gum, blocking the jets in the carburetor. Did you leave gas in the mower over the winter?

Fix is to disassemble carburetor and boil out the jets in carb cleaner. I mean the cleaner that comes in a gallon can with a dip basket.

Your engine is a Tecumseh, and the repair kit for the carb is 632809 and your Toro dealer should be able to provide. Price should be about $7.00.

Bookmark   April 12, 2010 at 6:58PM
1saxman

The easy fix is to remove the bottom brass bolt under the carb fuel bowl. First tip the mower up on its RH-side wheels so the carb is high. This is also the oil drain position. Never raise the other side unless all the oil and gas are out of the engine. Anyway, when you get tthe 'bolt' out, clean it up and make sure all holes are open. Pay attention to the tiny hole at the end of the threads that is on an angle - rod it out with the soft steel wire out of a wire tie off a loaf of bread, then blast it good with carb cleaner. After this, use STA-BIL 'Marine' fuel stabilizer (blue, super concentrate). Put it in your gas can every time you buy gas.

Bookmark   April 12, 2010 at 8:02PM
chesapeakebeach

+1 on what saxman1 said. On that bolt, there are 4 holes that you can clean -- two at the bottom of the threads when the bolt is sitting on its head, one at the top of the shaft, and then the angled one at the top of the threads.

Bookmark   April 13, 2010 at 2:10AM
More Discussions
Craftsman Lawn Mower Model#917258860 won't turn left
I just bought a Craftsman Lawn Mower with a 46"...
russph3
JD L100 and LA100 series trans oil change
I have a JD L118. It had a K46 trans that failed at...
fix_it
Reel Mower for Bermuda Lawn?
I was looking at the Fiskars StaySharp Max Reel Mower...
void.pointer
Briggs and Stratton spark plug confusion
I've got a B & S opposed twin 422707 on a Craftsman...
yt125
Engine trouble! B&S 13.5hp
My old Heritage ride-on has a Briggs& Stratton...
Over_here
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™