Lawn never gets the plush dark green look

bunkx9May 14, 2014

Hey everyone, my wife and I bought our first home 2 years ago from a couple who literally NEVER cared for the lawn when they lived here. When we moved in, the grass was dead (the guy hated mowing so much, he would intentionally scalp the grass so close to the ground that most of the sprinkler heads had been cut off). The lawn was a mix of dead grass, crab grass, dandelions and pretty much every weed imaginable. The house is in a beautiful neighborhood and all my neighbors have plush, green, thick lawns. For the past 2 years I have managed to breath some life back into it but can't seem to get it dark green and thick.

No matter how much I watered it last summer, the lawn stayed light green, thin with visible dead undergrowth. After spreading fertilizer on it, the lawn would grow faster but that's about it. I'm pretty sure the lawn has never been thatched or aerated, so I'm thinking this needs to be done ASAP. Will thatch/core aeration help me compete with the other lawns?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yardtractor1

Do you know what type of grass you have?
Take a small shovel and cut a small circle plug of turf about 3 inches in diameter and depth and check the cross-section provile against a google image of thatch.
Get back and post with what you find.

Bookmark   May 14, 2014 at 10:36PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
yardtractor1

Here is an image for comparison. The "thatch" layer is that off-colored area between the green grass and the soil below. Thatch will be a woven mat that with some effort can be pulled apart. It is somewhat "spongy" and contains very little soil. Having some thatch is advantages, but if there is more than 1/2", it should be removed.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   May 15, 2014 at 10:54AM
More Discussions
New bermuda sod just installed
It is 30 degrees here and I was told to water every...
420benz
Lawn issues (tree roots drying out lawn, uneven ground, grading e
I have been a long time lurker, but this is my first...
tomormatt
Poa Annua already making it's jump!
PA typically comes up here in April, we're mid Feb...
gsweater
St Augustine grass problems
Hello all-- I live in Florida on the gulf coast with...
mike153
Why would my neighbor's yard be snowless?
I know this isn't really related to lawn care specifically,...
asm198 - Zone 6a (MO)
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™