Concrete mushrooms

dee54August 12, 2008

Here are three of the 14 concrete mushrooms that I have made in the last three weeks. They are so much fun to see what they look like when unmolded. I use a variety of plastic and glass items like fast food big drinking cups, glass or plastic sundae glasses, glass footed candy dishes, and metal bowls.

When using the cups or sundae glasses I first spray Pam and then line the inside of the glass with plastic. For the tops I just line with the plastic unless it is a deep bowl. It then is easy to pop or pull out the hardened form. Then they go into the water to cure. I also use another cup like the stem that I cover in plastic and place in the middle of the top so the two will fit right into each other when finished.

Image link:

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Marlene Kindred

Wow! They really look real! Very nice!

Bookmark   August 12, 2008 at 8:58PM
Bright199(foothills NC)

Totally awsome... I just love mushrooms!!!

Bookmark   August 12, 2008 at 9:34PM
morninglori(6)

I love the mushrooms! Do you have a special mix for them or just portland cement? Do you paint them?

Bookmark   August 12, 2008 at 9:58PM
dee54

morninglori I use
1 portland
1 sand
water
No, I have not painted any but I do want to try. I also have made leaves and have painted them before. I want to try hypertufa for the mushrooms so that I can carve them a bit.

Bookmark   August 12, 2008 at 10:16PM
Purplemoon

Those turned out really cute, Dee. I especially like the littlest one. But that freeform looking top on the big one is awfully neat too.

hugs, Karen

Bookmark   August 13, 2008 at 3:19AM
katishooked(6)

I like what you have done. It seems every time I sign on to this forum I have to get my notes out because someone has come up with a new way to make something. This of course is going in my notes for future reference. Nice job.

Kathy

Bookmark   August 13, 2008 at 6:45AM
daisydal(7)

BRAVO,DEE!! I especailly love the one on the left, I immediately pictured it painted up and some green moss on it and a little fairy house and fairy on top!
They look SO REAL!!!
I think they are absolutely beautiful! What form did you use for the one on the left?
I think my heart needs one!

blessings-sherri

Bookmark   August 13, 2008 at 10:55AM
msmitoagain

These are great, you made 14. You've been busy!

I like these and will have to try it soon. Thanks for sharing.

Bookmark   August 13, 2008 at 11:03AM
luvstocraft

Those look great! You really did a great job on them, I love the way you have them textured. Luvs

Bookmark   August 13, 2008 at 11:55AM
dust_in_the_attic

They turn out so great. I really like the flatter one.
Good Job!
Lona

Bookmark   August 13, 2008 at 3:37PM
dee54

daisydal I used a glass footed dish for the top and a large plastic glass for the ste. Here is a picture.

Bookmark   August 13, 2008 at 3:49PM
jeannespines

You said, "then they go in the water to cure."
I've been making face rocks... pop them out of the mold and let them set for a week before I paint...that's the curing. Please explain the water part...something that may work better for me! And I LOVE your mushrooms! And I see now that nice glassware can be used with spray and plastic. Jeanne S.

Bookmark   August 14, 2008 at 10:32AM
jeannespines

Here's a link from dee54's other posting showing glassware used for concrete mushrooms. Jeanne S.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Bookmark   August 14, 2008 at 10:37AM
dee54

Jeanne S. First thank-you for the link. From reading I have learned that to fully cure cement you must keep it in water for 28 days. Not sure why but 28 is the magic number. I have also read that smaller things such as the mushrooms are like 75% cured like after a week or more in the water. The water makes the cement harder. I really do not know how this works. I have not always done the full 28 days and everything has been fine with my mushrooms and leaves that I have made for me or gifts. Now I have a childs size pool full of concrete things that I am leaving for the full length of time. It is hard to wait so long though.

Bookmark   August 14, 2008 at 4:16PM
More Discussions
New here...sorta
Hey y'all! I was here ages ago. Well, mostly on the...
valkyrja01
Christmas Bottle Tree
I finally got around to making a Christmas bottle tree...
lindasewandsew
Thinking of turning this old water faucet into a short light post
I figured removing the faucet itself...and adding a...
cadillactaste
Working with crushed gemstones
Maybe this is a question to a wrong forum, but I see...
briergardener_gw
msn garden junk-sad
As some of you know, MSN is closing! I am sorry to...
nonacook
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™