Dead spots in Centipede grass - what to do?

dsm1995gstMay 1, 2014

I've got a few areas like this in my front yard that appear to be dead and aren't growing like the other areas. Everything surrounding these areas is already very green and growing nicely.

Should I wait to see if the surrounding grass grows into it or should I just rake it out and put some sod there?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dchall_san_antonio(8 San Antonio)

First of all I like to make sure you have centipede and not St Augustine. Many people confuse the two due to their similar appearance. Centipede always has pointed tips on the ends of the blades. St Aug always has boat tail shaped tips.

Generally grass dies like that from inhospitable conditions. In the case of centipede that would be too much shade (any shade is too much), alkaline soil (it must be acidic soil), too much fertilizer (centipede thrives on poor soil), or too much water.

For St Aug to look like that, just about the only possibility is not enough water. Secondarily it could be a fungal disease.

Bookmark   May 2, 2014 at 8:39PM
dsm1995gst

It is centipede. It may be dead in those spots because of the fact that, in my ignorance, I put out some "weed and feed" a couple of months ago. However, I did the same in my back yard to no ill effect.

The spots are not in the shade and receive a similar amount of water as the rest of my yard (which is in good shape) receives.

I ended up raking the dead stuff out and putting down some centipede sod, as I wasn't sure how long I'd have to wait for the surrounding grass to spread into the dead areas (as the dead areas did not seem to be any signs of greening).

Hopefully that will go well.

Bookmark   May 5, 2014 at 1:48PM
auteck

Where is this lawn located?

Bookmark   May 6, 2014 at 9:36PM
dsm1995gst

Florence, SC (about 70 miles from the coast).

Bookmark   May 6, 2014 at 10:16PM
More Discussions
Two questions on landscape services and lawn maintenance
For the most part I have a pretty normal lawn. Last...
yuag
just bought hybrid bermuda sod will be here in a week. any tips? Socal
hello all I live in southern california and have tifgreen...
bnsand210
poor top soil
I had what I thought was top soil brought in to fix...
olusteebus
Problem with St. Augustine grass
Hi! I live in the north of Portugal (Hardiness Zone...
Kratus
Lawn after so much snow…what do I need to know?
A newbie here so I haven't maintained a lawn for a...
Pippin
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™