1970's John Deere 100 wiring

johndeere13April 3, 2010

Please help!

I picked up an old JD 100 mower, loaded it on my trailer after we jumped it. When I got it home I started going over it to see what it needed. When I looked at the wiring between the solenoid and coil I could tell something was goofy. It had a red wire going from the solenoid to coil with a rigged up resistor or diode wired in between. And another wire coming down from the coil, unsure of where it goes...there are no other wires around. So, what is that wire, and is that diode thing necessary? Please help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tomplum

I'm unsure why a wire would be going from the solenoid to the coil. There is likely a diode from the charging coil. That changes the coil output to Dc so the battery can use it. Some earlier Deere's had a circuit breaker rather than a fuse. Go to Deere parts and maybe the parts list will help some.Keep us posted.

Here is a link that might be useful: deere parts

Bookmark   April 3, 2010 at 9:38PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
johndeere13

Tomplum, thanks soo much. That website is great. It was in fact a diode and I accidentally re-wired it backwards. Runs great now, the other wire is the shut off so I just throttle it down to kill the motor.

Bookmark   April 7, 2010 at 7:18PM
More Discussions
B&S OHV 6.5 won't start
If I prime the engine 5/6 times it starts on the second...
mvron
john deere RX75 belt diagram
I have a Rx75 with 9hp motor. I bought it used and...
jeremy_2010
need a mower
Hi. I'm trying to find a decent self propelled walk...
mjgarden1
Tru-cut Reel Clutch Adjustment
I've owned this guy since new (1979). Beyond normal...
runner70
Craftsman Lawn Mower Model#917258860 won't turn left
I just bought a Craftsman Lawn Mower with a 46"...
russph3
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™