Weed b gon and ironite

smitty846May 14, 2014

I want to spray the lawn with weed b gon and I know it says rain safe after 1 hour, however we are forecasted to get steady/heavy rain for about an 8 hour stretch tomorrow. I am able to apply more than an hour before rain starts but am I better off waiting for another day?

Second q, I also want to apply ironite, can I do this right before or after weed b gon? I know the ironite says to water it in well after application. Am I better off applying ironite before the heavy rain and holding off on weed b gon? I really need to get rid of all these dandelions ASAP. I live in Buffalo NY with a KBG mix. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lazy_gardens

Ironite now to take advantage of the free rain water.

Do you have enough weeds to warrant using an herbicide?

Bookmark   May 15, 2014 at 10:29AM
smitty846

Yes lawn if full of weeds. 9 days ago I aerated with spike style tow behind. That's what the rental company had other than a power model. Then I applied Scott's step 1. Haven't mowed sense. Planning to mow in a few more days at a high setting (3.5") and keep it there for the season.

I just applied the Ironite. How soon now can I spray weed b gon?
It's gonna be a balancing act between that and the rain in the forecast. I need to mow soon but don't want to until 1-2 days after weed b gon is down.

Bookmark   May 15, 2014 at 11:25AM
Sherm1082

I would almost think your best bet is to do ironite before the rain and weed b gon after.

Bookmark   May 15, 2014 at 12:50PM
yardtractor1

Why Ironite? A 40lb bag of 1-0-1 Ironite contains 4.5% iron. That's 1.8lbs iron, 0.4lbs nitrogen at a cost of $18. A 50lb bag of 5-2-0 Milorganite contains 4% iron. That's 2lbs of iron and 2.5lbs of nitrogen (60% of which is WIN "organic" which will promote micro-organisms and a healthy lawn) at a cost of $16. At the Ironite recommended application rate of .45lbs per 1000 sq ft., it will cover 4000 sq ft. At that same .45lb rate, the Milorganite bag will cover 4400 sq ft. plus you get all of the additional nutrient advantages.
Home depot sells 40# bags of Ironite in my area for $18.67 and 36# bags of Milorganite for $12.37 (which is highway robbery). Even so, you are paying 10.37/lb of iron with Ironite and only $8.59/lb of iron with Milorganite.
I have never watered Milorganite in and I regularly spot spray with WBG with no issues.
Something to consider.

Bookmark   May 15, 2014 at 1:19PM
smitty846

I guess I just know and like Ironite. A big factor is that Amazon prime has it for $18 with free 2 day shipping. Not bad for 120 lbs of product.

Bookmark   May 15, 2014 at 2:18PM
yardtractor1

I never seen Ironite in 120lb bags. Even if you mean 3- 40lb bags at $6 each, that's a steal. Can you link to that?

Bookmark   May 15, 2014 at 2:29PM
smitty846

$18/ bag (40lb x 3) = 120lbs of product shipped free at my door in 2 days.

Bookmark   May 15, 2014 at 2:34PM
More Discussions
Two questions on landscape services and lawn maintenance
For the most part I have a pretty normal lawn. Last...
yuag
Beneficial Nemotodes or Milky Spore?
I have an awful problem with slugs every spring, lasy...
lisaw2015
When can I turn on my sprinklers?
We are new to the whole in ground system thing, they...
dainaadele
Which order to do these tasks?
This spring I need to do the following to my lawn : Aerate,...
tonyjambo
I want the best yard in the neighborhood
Hello, my name is Wes and I'm pretty much a first time...
wesottinger
Sponsored Products
CS080 LED Channel System
EnvironmentalLights.com
Kate B Dining Chair
| Italy Design
Hanna Scroll Border Monogrammed Entry Mat - B, 30" x 48"
$99.50 | FRONTGATE
Beaumont Concealed 1 Outlet Twin Thermostatic Shower Valve (Square)
Hudson Reed
Malene B Hand-tufted Destinations Contemporary Floral Rug (5' x 8')
Overstock.com
Floral Medallion Garden Tote
$12.99 | zulily
Runner: B. Smith Brown 2' 6" x 8'
Home Depot
Area Rug: B. Smith Espresso 5' x 8'
Home Depot
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™