Toro Recycler sparks

fastmov4April 16, 2013

Situation: I ran over a piece of rebar sticking up out of the ground with my Toro Recycler. The blade caught it, and the whole lawnmower shuttered to a stop. Checked out the blade, and it looked to be OK. I started the mower back up, and it seemed to run fine with the exception of a new sound that can best be explained as muffled "baseball card in bicycle spokes). I then noticed sparks starting to shoot out of the exhaust (never done this before). So I shut the mower down and called it a day. Any thoughts? I didn't really notice any new vibrations with the sound, and everything still seems to work. Just don't want to set the yard on fire. Thanks in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tomplum

Well, you could have sheared the flywheel key and possibly damaged the blade hub. I would urge you to have this checked out if you are uncomfortable doing it yourself.

Bookmark   April 16, 2013 at 11:53PM
fastmov4

Thanks, Tom. I just had the mower in for servicing last week, so I'm hesitant to take it back in and drop another chunk of change. But that may be what I have to do.

Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 12:05AM
baymee(LehighValleyPA)

Does the starter rope feel like its being ripped out of your hand when you pull it? The only time I've seen sparks come out the muffler is when the carb mixture is too rich.

Tom, when the key shears, does it retard or advance the timing. I'm thinking it advances it.

Bookmark   April 17, 2013 at 2:54PM
More Discussions
Champion Spark Plug lack of quality
Picked up a set of RJ12C's to have on hand when I do...
yt125
Bad ignition coil magneto on Tecumseh
Is there a more economical solution to replacing a...
don_v
Mclane 20" mower at Sears... why so inexpensive?
Hey everyone, I want to get yall's input on a mower...
bobbarker14
New Toro Push Mower?
I am looking to replace an 11 year old Toro Recycler,...
seashells18
JD L100 and LA100 series trans oil change
I have a JD L118. It had a K46 trans that failed at...
fix_it
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™