lawn repair after vole damage

sunnytopMay 9, 2010

I have thick thatchy areas that upon pulling it out, I've discovered quite an expansive tunnel system from voles in my lawn. I notice that the areas that have these tunnels does not get as green as the rest of the lawn. How does one repair the lawn after such damage? It looks like dethatching is a must and then it looks like I would have to mow the lawn short so I can see to get to the valleys. Then it looks like I would need to get on my hands and knees and fill in the tunnel valleys with soil and reseed along the runways. Does anyone know of an easier way to repair a lawn after this sort of damage? If I have to go to such pains, I sure don't want to go to this much effort and have the same thing happen again! My neighbor tells me they had a vole problem a few years before we moved in.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bpgreen(5UT)

What kind of grass do you have? If you've got KBG, it will repair itself once it starts actively growing.

Bookmark   May 10, 2010 at 12:03AM
sunnytop

I have KBG but I don't think these are new tunnels, I think they may have been there awhile and never filled in. The soil is sunken where the tunneling was so there's been no soil for it to fill into. You do have a point though. I think if I add compost to level the ground back out, there will be soil there for the KBG to grow into. Thanks. You helped me answer my own question.

Bookmark   May 10, 2010 at 1:05AM
mustard_seeds(4 -Onalaska Wisconsin)

I have KBG. When I get a vole tunnel in the lawn, I walk along the tunnel gently. At the dirt mound area, I try to push back some of the dirt with my foot and make it level and the excess dirt I kick or rake to surrounding lawn to keep it from being a mound. Usually the grass all fills in in a few weeks. I only wish the voles would stay away from the landscaping edging near the house! Rachel

Bookmark   May 10, 2010 at 6:44AM
bpgreen(5UT)

Voles or moles? I thought vole damage was at the surface and was just paths that appeared when the snow melted. What you're describing sounds more like moles.

Bookmark   May 10, 2010 at 6:50PM
mustard_seeds(4 -Onalaska Wisconsin)

I have whatever they had in Caddyshack - but they are not THAT active (thank goodness!) Seems to go in spurts, some years worse than others. Tried a castor oil spray near the landscaped areas , but that did not seem tomake a difference. Learned to live with their occasional tunnels.

Bookmark   May 10, 2010 at 9:39PM
garycinchicago(Z5 Chicago IL.)

>"Posted by mustard_seeds 4
I have whatever they had in Caddyshack -

"This is a hybrid. This is a cross, ah, of Bluegrass, Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent, and Northern California Sensemilia. The amazing stuff about this is, that you can play 36 holes on it in the afternoon, take it home and just get stoned to the bejeezus-belt that night on this stuff."

Bookmark   May 12, 2010 at 8:57AM
More Discussions
Lawn care for newly built home
Let me start with this - I am very newbie for any kind...
neo82
Artificial Grass Maintenance?
I'm newbie in gardening. I want to know what kind of...
kevin497
Lawn issues (tree roots drying out lawn, uneven ground, grading e
I have been a long time lurker, but this is my first...
tomormatt
Hickory Nut Tree
What is the best way to deal with Hickory nuts in my...
cdouglas10683
Why would my neighbor's yard be snowless?
I know this isn't really related to lawn care specifically,...
asm198 - Zone 6a (MO)
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™