grass seedlings turning purple and white

jbutschMay 17, 2014

Hello,
We live in Oregon and my husband just reseeded our lawn with a fescue blend. Most of the grass is coming up green, however some patches of the seedlings are coming up white and purple? We have a dog and wonder if him urinating on some of it before we could catch him, is causing this?? We are stumped. I've also read that overwatering could do this, as some of our grass in another area is coming up very thinly and there is a green-blackish covering it is trying to push through.

HELP

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
joneboy(7)

The base of the stem of a tall fescue plant is a purple color. If the leaves of the plants are purple then you could be deficient in phosphorus, especially if you have a sandy soil. Leaves also turn purple when they are wilting. Urine will usually leave a baseball size dead spot with dark green plants growing around the outside. Check your soil test if you've had one done for phosphorus deficiency. The greenish black stuff is probably alge, happens a lot when reseeding a lawn especially shaded areas. The alge won't be a problem once the grass gets up and starts to tiller out it won't be a problem.

Bookmark   May 19, 2014 at 12:28AM
More Discussions
St Augustine grass problems
Hello all-- I live in Florida on the gulf coast with...
mike153
spreader settings not on fertilizer bags?
I recently had a soil test(s) on my yard and had a...
hc803
Problem with St. Augustine grass
Hi! I live in the north of Portugal (Hardiness Zone...
Kratus
just bought hybrid bermuda sod will be here in a week. any tips? Socal
hello all I live in southern california and have tifgreen...
bnsand210
Lawn drainage on the cheap?
My husband and I bought a house in November, and have...
galiana
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™