OMG, i killed my lawn...

takkieMay 25, 2012

Hi.

First time home owner and have a regular size lawn. (about 2k sqft)

The house has inground sprinkler system, and i have it on on the Even Days, 3AM, and cycle runs for about 3 hours across different valve heads.

I mowed my lawn for the first time after getting a gas mower from Sears. (First time using a lawn mower as well), and i thought i did a pretty good job with it. There were weeds here and there so i went to home depot and picked up a Roundup Pump Sprayer.

I sprayed it all over my lawn and finished hte entire bottle (1.33 gallon). The next day, i started to see the grass turning brown and yellow with some kind of line pattern, which follows the way when i spray the entire lawn.

I then looked at the bottle again, and realized that it is a weed AND GRASS killer. I hit myself in the head and then water the lawn more often, hoping that these product dont work as good. 3 days later, alot more line pattern shown yellow / dry grass. I went to home depot and bought Miracle Grow lawn food with water sprayer and spray 2 bags of those lawn food over the entire lawn just earlier this evening.

Now here comes my question,

what can i do to save the lawn without killing it?

how do i make the dry/brown grass come back?

If i water it more often and give food to it more often, will it help? If so, which brand/what type please.

The lawn looks pretty awful now, as it has sporadic spots with dry/yellow grass. :(

Please help. I dont know much about lawn care, and just started reading on it. I do not know what type of grass it is either. I live in NYC suburbs, so i think its one of those grass that grew commonly in the north east.

Thanks in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
grass1950

Mark it up to experience. Basically you have started a renovation. You might as well finish it. Kill everything with round up in early August and reseed in late August. Give a discription of your lawn, shady, sunny (how many hours a day it gets sun) etc. and what uses you want to make of the lawn and how much time and money you are willing to spend maintaining it, and someone will tell you what grass to plant and what process to use.

Bookmark   May 25, 2012 at 10:17PM
tiemco

No matter what you do, it's not coming back.

Bookmark   May 25, 2012 at 10:22PM
texas-weed(7A)

Like i tel my kids when I go on vacation I never take a cell phone or laptop. She always complains the What If? What if someone dies, how will would you know. I always answer the same way every time; They will still be dead when I get home.

The lawn is dead, you get to start over again.

Bookmark   May 25, 2012 at 10:40PM
jdo053103(7b - NC)

yes, lesson learned...i bet you will never again apply anything to your lawn without reading and researching first.

Bookmark   May 26, 2012 at 12:01AM
david_tx(7a North Texas)

"OMG, I killed my lawn"

No truer words were ever spoken. Live and learn...

Bookmark   May 26, 2012 at 10:41AM
More Discussions
Bermudagrass seeds from big box store
I had great luck with a certain name brand seed last...
ReelJake
Synthetic rattan or Natural rattan furniture?
Guys, I would like to know your opinion. Which do you...
kevin497
Lawn after so much snow…what do I need to know?
A newbie here so I haven't maintained a lawn for a...
Pippin
Shady lawn in winter - what seed is best?
Hi, I have a small garden in London, England. Because...
Blighty
Poa Annua already making it's jump!
PA typically comes up here in April, we're mid Feb...
gsweater
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™