Post Stroke Riding Mower

jimdayleApril 1, 2014

My dad had a a stroke a couple months ago. He is 77 and has been very active caring for almost six acres until now. He was mowing with tractors using mowing decks. My sister and I are trying to research what brand/model riding mower might work for him. He has left arm and left leg function. If he could even mow an hour a day he would be pleased. Right now he wishes he could do what he did before, but we know that his current equipment would not accommodate his needs.
We are not mower talk savvy so please answer in simple language.

Thank you very much!!!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rcmoser

Sorry to here about your dad, Hope he recovers.

I would think step through design mow with large deck would work. He could step through using his left leg to run the pedal drive system on hydrostat models (automatic's) They also have elect. clutches to turn the deck on and off by pulling switch. John Deere X300 series or x500 series mowers may work. Or other manufactures with step through design.

He can go to JD dealer and see what may work for him and test drive them. JD's 300 series start out $4000. and X500 series start around $6000. with 500 hr bumper to bumper warrantee. Most people are satisfied with JD dealers due to their commitment to service.

With his right side weak He will just have to see if he can operate it side saddle with his left side operating the pedal drive. You will have to as if they have any special left handed/legged modified lawn tractors. I dough it, but won't hurt to as Dealer or goggle?

There are some Commercial stand up models you could research see it he could operate them with only left side functioning. Might try to google them also and find dealer to check them out...

Bookmark   April 3, 2014 at 8:16AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jimdayle

Thank you rcmoser. We appreciate these ideas.

Bookmark   April 3, 2014 at 9:46AM
More Discussions
Lawnboy circa 1967 aquanaut/air buoy evinrude parts
Hi. I am wondering if anyone could be of assistance....
sirlancair
Two-cycle Lawnmower for Hills?
My lawn was hilly before, but recently became more...
fritz1255
Honda HRR2169VYA hard to start/pull cord after changing blades
Honda HRR2169VYA in just its second season. I ran fresh...
clermont_ohio
John Deere K-Series 12 HP 48.comm walk behind transmission? Old Yellow
I noticed it felt like transmission was slipping in...
Gary Simmons
Husqvarna 150bt blower running lean - harder to start
Blower is taking 3 - 5 pulls to start when it used...
edge
Sponsored Products
Centra 80" Double Bathroom Vanity for Undermount Sinks by Wyndham Collection - M
Modern Bathroom
Artcraft Lighting St. Moritz Dark Bronze Three-Light Outdoor Post Light
$743.00 | LuxeDecor
Scaffold Three Story Stationary Scaffold Tower
Beyond Stores
Deluxe Seedling Cat Tree House
$699.00 | FRONTGATE
Progress Lighting P5479-84 One-Light 8.5" Post Lantern With Clear Seeded Glass D
Progress Lighting
Minty Post Box
| Dot & Bo
Troy Lighting Old Town Nautical Outdoor Post Lamp
1800Lighting
Elk Lighting Blackwell Post Light - 18H in. Hazelnut Bronze - 42104/1
$202.00 | Hayneedle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™