Speeding up Honda Mower

mlutzApril 7, 2009

I have two xenoy deck honda mowers. I was wondering if someone could tell me if there is a way to speed up the engine speed? I know that there is a throttle lever that you can adjust but my mowers just don't seem to be running as fast as they should. When I get in grass that is a little high the mowers seem to bog down and struggle to keep up. In know that the mower will slow down some, but it seems to be more than I think it should.

Thanks,

Mark

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
1saxman

You should tach it to be sure before and after adjustment. RPM should not exceed 3400. Max. blade tip speed is 19,000 FPM. As far as how to adjust this particular one, I don't know, but you can manually 'goose' the governor lever at the back of the engine while it's running to temporarily speed it up. If you do this and observe the linkages you may see how to adjust it. I'll do this and run mine up to maybe 4000 every so often just so the connecting rod doesn't shrink. ;)

Bookmark   April 8, 2009 at 9:21AM
tomplum

Some links use a threaded stop. The spring can be hooked in the lower hole of the arm (if applicable).You can also tweak the leg of the governor arm back. It is good advice to have someone with tach do it.

Bookmark   April 9, 2009 at 12:47AM
mlutz

Thanks for the information. I was able to find the linkage that controlled the governor. When I started looking at the cable that controls the throttle, it showed that it had moved. I took it to a honda dealer and they were able to tighten the cable for me which made it run better.

Thanks again,

Mark

Bookmark   April 10, 2009 at 10:21AM
oldlawnmowerman81(Milwaukie (Oak Grove))

In most cases the engine should never be sped up past its factory engine setting described in the owner's manual.

If the engine on your mower is running at, for example, 3100 RPM, 5% overspeed would mean 3255 RPM while 10% overspeed would be 3410 RPM.

Optimal no-load speed settings to consider, so as to save wear and tear on the engine, in my mind, would be 2900 RPM for 21" mowers and 3200 RPM for 19" mowers. These suggestions are given in compensation for maximum available engine torque. My 1984 Toro 20672 with its Tecumseh-made TNT100 engine is currently set for 2900 RPM.

The smallest Honda mowers that used to be sold here, the HR17 and the HR173, had a 17" cut width; optimal engine RPM on those would be 3500.

Blade tip speed on your 21", if the engine runs at 2900, would be around 16,000 fpm.

~Ben

Bookmark   April 2, 2010 at 4:16AM
More Discussions
Hayter Harrier Pro Roller Problems
Hi folks, I have just taken apart my hayter harrier...
timkodd
2 cycle (Robin) Snapper
Does anyone have any input on whether that Robin 2cycle...
wegrowhair
John Deere K-Series 12 HP 48.comm walk behind transmission? Old Yellow
I noticed it felt like transmission was slipping in...
Gary Simmons
Bolen mower
I have a 2010 Bolen model: 13WC762Fo65/ 317737/ 38"...
Scott Walker
Honda Mower Problem-Backfire thru Carb?
I have a Honda walk behind that has been awsome until...
jteekell
Sponsored Products
Eglo Mercur 61 in. 1-Light Brushed Aluminum Floor Lamp 88298A
Home Depot
ELK Lighting Natural Rope 63010-2 Sconce - 12W in. - Aged Bronze - 63010-2
$202.00 | Hayneedle
Blue Stained Glass 16" Tiffany Shade Floor Lamp Home Lighting
ParrotUncle
Outdoor Lanterns. 2-Light 17 in. Wall Lantern Old Bronze Finish Seeded Glass
Home Depot
Beefed Up Desk Caddy
| Dot & Bo
Hatherton Antique Brass Three Light 46-Inch Hugger Ceiling Fan
$123.00 | Bellacor
Blue & Beige Rosie Indoor/Outdoor Rug
$24.99 | zulily
Hand-woven Shags Solid Pattern Gray/ Black Rug (5' x 7'6)
Overstock.com
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™