Yard weed looks like mini wheat stalks. (PIC Included)

jlm41May 5, 2010

My yard has sprung up these little weeds all over that look like tall blades of grass, yet have wheat-like looking heads on top. I mow high about 2.5 inch. And this weed is abour same size. They are all over making my green grass look awful. What are they and how do I get rid of them.

From 2010-Spring Weed

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rainbowss(z6)

These just came about on my lawn too. From reading another forum, these seem to be KBG seeding early.

Bookmark   May 5, 2010 at 10:14PM
dchall_san_antonio(8 San Antonio)

Right. Not a weed. That is your grass seeding.

Bookmark   May 6, 2010 at 9:44AM
weigojmi

Got the same...is a bit disconcerting though.

Bookmark   May 6, 2010 at 4:22PM
kevingalaxy

I also have the same, im not sure if its poa or just grass seed. i bagged up my clippings thsi week just incase! I guess if it all dies out in summer then its poa and i need to run and get soem dimension?!

Bookmark   May 7, 2010 at 12:59PM
rainbowss(z6)

I mulched when I mowed yesterday. =]

Bookmark   May 7, 2010 at 2:00PM
valtorrez(6b)

I have these in yard also. I cut them down thinking they were weeds.

Bookmark   May 8, 2010 at 11:43AM
weigojmi

Does everyone with these seed with KBG...?

Bookmark   May 8, 2010 at 10:00PM
vinny_75(6)

Hi,

I have the exact same problem. I never had any weed issue. So I figured this was not a weed. My lawn is entirely KBG. IF this is KBG seeding, it makes sense. Should I not cut it short and let the seed pods mature?

Bookmark   May 10, 2010 at 8:41PM
oppalm(6)

vinny 75 you need to have your mower blade sharpened.

Bookmark   May 10, 2010 at 9:38PM
auteck

It is indeed Kentucky Bluegrass seeding out, it is normal this time of year. It will go away very shortly.

For those with Fescue/Bluegrass mix lawns, you can easely spot where the Bluegrasses are growing in your lawn.

Bookmark   May 11, 2010 at 11:18PM
rainbowss(z6)

Does KBG seeding imply one is mowing too high for this time of year? I notice that in the sections with seedlings, there is much less grass.. as if the grass just disappeared. I hope it fills in.

I was mowing at 2.5inch whereas my neighbor who has the same sod has literally no seeds. Only thing different, at least to my understanding, would be that her lawn-care service mows it close to 2inch.

Bookmark   May 19, 2010 at 12:35PM
kevingalaxy

Hi all, Vinny i have exactly the same thing. I mow at 3+ inches all year round, i started to bag the clippings as i was scared it was annual poa?! not sure if i should just let it seed or not, i too dont have any weeds so was very shocked at this and yes you can definitely see the patches where KBG is.

Rainbowss i would have thought the higher you mow the better? i am reluctant even with the seeding to mow below 3 inches, summer is coming and the grass needs that height so the roots can grow lower to get at whatever water is in the soil? Correct me if i'm wrong anybody.

Bookmark   May 19, 2010 at 2:57PM
rainbowss(z6)

kevingalaxy, I believe mowing higher is only beneficial during the summer season. And the reason, imo, is because this does not promote vertical growth because about 1/3 of the blade is in the shade from photosynthesis.

About the roots growing... If anything, experts have taught us that root growth is optimum during the spring and fall for cool season grasses. However, in the excessive summer heat, root growth is seized(forgot source). So I don't think roots will follow the water down or to a degree that indicates significance. And besides, roots should already be deep if you followed the deep and infrequent watering during spring/fall.

I believe auteck stated in the summer one would need frequent watering... as in spreading out 1.5inch per week on a 0.5inch per basis. I am still debating this but 0.5inch is close to being deep if you have sandy soil.

Maybe auteck can fill us in on proper techniques for KBG? [Hopeful] =]

Bookmark   May 19, 2010 at 9:07PM
More Discussions
just bought hybrid bermuda sod will be here in a week. any tips? Socal
hello all I live in southern california and have tifgreen...
bnsand210
Shady lawn in winter - what seed is best?
Hi, I have a small garden in London, England. Because...
Blighty
Revitalizing and leveling sad lawn
I have a lawn in Northern California that is pretty...
jhalt
Lawn issues (tree roots drying out lawn, uneven ground, grading e
I have been a long time lurker, but this is my first...
tomormatt
Why would my neighbor's yard be snowless?
I know this isn't really related to lawn care specifically,...
asm198 - Zone 6a (MO)
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™