Best lawn mower for bermuda grass

tiredofweedsMay 14, 2011

Getting ready to sod my lawn with bermuda and needed recommendations for the best reel mower for the money. I have looked at both self propelled and push models. I just dont want to shell out $800 and buy a dud when $250 push mower is just as good. Thanks for any input.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tnjdm

I have been doing a lot of looking at reel mower options for Bermuda. I'll add a couple of links (I hope right) that discuss reel mowers.

The one that seems to be the winner is one made by the Amish called the Mascot Silent Cut that comes in an 18" and 21". A little pricier than most reel mowers (which most won't do a good job on Bermuda) but gets accolades for Bermuda. They also mention one from Scotts and American.

Really good articles and reviews. Hope it helps.

P.S. if you have a large yard you may want something motorized or a gang reel pull set-up.

http://www.peoplepoweredmachines.com/mower_compare.htm#not_right

http://www.reelmowersetc.com/silent_Cut_18.htm

Bookmark   May 17, 2011 at 8:16AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
wrager(Z5 OH)

I just purchased a Mascot after trying a Brill, McLane 10 blade motorized, Tru-Cut 20" motorized and a cheap chinese version from Target. The motorized versions just didn't work on my bumpy, steep sloped terrain. The Brill was good until late in the season when the turf got really thick. Then it was too difficult to push, despite using it 3x a week. The Mascot is very heavy so I like it the best by far. I'll let you know come August.

I just installed 500 sq. ft. of new sod. It is so bumpy, I wouldn't even try to use my reel mower. I use my Honda rotoary for now. Once I level it, I will use the reel.

Bookmark   May 17, 2011 at 12:57PM
More Discussions
New Honda HRX Drive System
I see where Honda is presenting a new drive system...
skipmarr
Craftsman ZTS 7500
Going to look at a used one of these tomorrow. Anything...
radlee30458
Bad ignition coil magneto on Tecumseh
Is there a more economical solution to replacing a...
don_v
Honda HRX217
Had it for 10 years and is the best mower I ever had....
bob3d
JD L100 and LA100 series trans oil change
I have a JD L118. It had a K46 trans that failed at...
fix_it
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™