Will not start

wurkin4itMay 6, 2012

I have a Murray model 425017x24A, with a Briggs & Stratton 16.5, model 31A707. It just cranks and will not fire. Not even a sputter.

I have replaced the coil and plug, and checked the in line diode from the armature. Are there any thoughts of what else could be inhibiting the spark? This unit was always hard cold starting, but now it is just dead.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
roadbike

It is not clear from your post whether you are getting a spark at the plug or not. If you haven't checked please do so.

Bookmark   May 6, 2012 at 11:26AM
bill_kapaun

Likely the seat switch is bad/misadjusted or possibly disconnected.

It's hard to read the schematic for your mower but-
Sometimes disconnecting the seat switch will insure a no spark condition. Other times not. You might try disconnecting it to see if it makes a difference.

Bookmark   May 6, 2012 at 12:18PM
wurkin4it

Well, I found it. I disconnected the seat switch but I still had a constant ground on the seat kill switch line. I traced the ground to the connector plug for the seat switch. There is a spring keeper in the plug that was contacting both sides of the plug. I removed the spring, reconnected the wires and battery and it fired right up. It was driving me nuts that I couldn't get a spark at all. Forums are great. Even if you don't get the answer you are looking for, you get to vent!
Thanks

Bookmark   May 6, 2012 at 10:44PM
bill_kapaun

The plug has what they call a "shorting connector". It was designed to defeat the users that were disconnecting the seat switch.
I haven't heard of problems with the plug being bad, just not seated fully.

Bookmark   May 7, 2012 at 1:44AM
More Discussions
need a mower
Hi. I'm trying to find a decent self propelled walk...
mjgarden1
Briggs and Stratton spark plug confusion
I've got a B & S opposed twin 422707 on a Craftsman...
yt125
Craftsman Lawn Mower Model#917258860 won't turn left
I just bought a Craftsman Lawn Mower with a 46"...
russph3
Snapper 21 BBC Rehab complete! see pics
Guys, Finally after much effort I finished the Snapper...
quickrick
Snapper commercial refurb
This is the 1986 snapper 21500PC that I found in the...
snapperfreak
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™