Do I need to remove sand from pool area before putting topsoil?

p_bishopp28May 31, 2011

We removed our 24' above ground pool and what is left is a circle of sand. The level is about 1-2" lower than the sorrounding lawn. My question is does all that sand need to be removed or can I spread topsoil on top of it and re-seed the area? How deep should the topsoil be in either case? Thanks for your help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dchall_san_antonio(8 San Antonio)

The sand was used to protect the bottom of the pool - as you probably already know. There is no other reason for it. I use sand instead of topsoil in my garden, but that's me. Some disadvantages to sand are that it holds no fertility or moisture. If you put topsoil on top, when the roots grow down into the sand, there will be very little to keep them there. Not sure how that would pan out. I guess I'd be inclined to pull out the sand and replace with topsoil.

The new surface should crown a little on top to allow for settling. Otherwise in 3 years when the new topsoil has settled, you'll have a swamp.

Bookmark   June 1, 2011 at 10:31AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nearandwest(7)

If it were me, I would spread topsoil over the top of the sand, then use a garden rake to incorporate the sand and topsoil together. And as dchall wrote, crown the surface for future settling.

Bookmark   June 1, 2011 at 10:50AM
More Discussions
What type of grass grows best is very shady areas in South East Texas?
I live in South East Texas and have many trees and...
dcloteaux1350
Help! My lawn needs to recover from years of neglect.
I posted this on the organic lawn forum as well. We...
NVL4
poor top soil
I had what I thought was top soil brought in to fix...
olusteebus
St Augustine grass problems
Hello all-- I live in Florida on the gulf coast with...
mike153
hydroseeding this spring or wait til fall?
hello - my lawn took a major hit last year even after...
duk748
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™